GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can we being back forums for older VWs?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Would be great if we had a section for older GTIs similar to the other tabs up top for mk5 through 8. Other forums dedicated for these cars (not going to mention names) have lost their way and have little to no action regarding VW content. I’m pretty sure there used to be a Golfmk4 section here. Let’s bring it, and MK1-3 back!

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
That's what Vortex was for. But pretty sure that place is dead now.
Haven't been on in years.
A lot of the older forums I participated in seem to be slowly dying.
I think FB and other social media took a big chunk of participation.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
That’s what I was referring to. It’s all “car lounge” now aka the same 10 guys making hundreds of autopilot responses each day about how great new SUVs and EV are.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm sure we can get the admins to do that right after they fix the spam problem!

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
That’s what I was referring to. It’s all “car lounge” now aka the same 10 guys making hundreds of autopilot responses each day about how great new SUVs and EV are.

Lol that's accurate.
All the OG's holding out but are now just older and can appreciate other things than just slammed VW's.
I have to admit, I'm guilty of this hah.
I'm still on Audizine from my Audi days and a thread I'm still active in we were all just talking about EV's!
Some of us have made the switch, some of us (including myself) are thinking about it....
I'll tell you what though, if I do end up with a Model 3 you better believe that thing is getting some KW's and some TE37's with sticky tires!
Sucks getting older...bring back the car scene from 15-20 years ago!!!!

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
just venture outside of the car lounge section then

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
just venture outside of the car lounge section then
Nobody goes in there save a small handful of Rav4 enthusiasts. There is no discussion outside of that though is my point, and your home screen and feed is clogged with recommendations reminding you the only activity on the site is from the Soccer mom EV lounge. They should really rename the site and let it die for VWs officially so something relevant can emerge. I was hoping that could happen here. It would take months to get this many replies on Vortex outside of car lounge, unless someone is having a weird known issue with their car; there’s just no real older GTI community there and a lot of younger people are interested in older VWs. That and people with MK5 through MK8s have older generations of the cars as well

Just a suggestion to the admins is all, since the infrastructure and community exists here already

Last edited:

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Nobody goes in there save a small handful of Rav4 enthusiasts. There is no discussion outside of that though is my point, and your home screen and feed is clogged with recommendations reminding you the only activity on the site is from the Soccer mom EV lounge. They should really rename the site and let it die for VWs officially so something relevant can emerge. I was hoping that could happen here. It would take months to get this many replies on Vortex outside of car lounge, unless someone is having a weird known issue with their car; there’s just no real older GTI community there and a lot of younger people are interested in older VWs. That and people with MK5 through MK8s have older generations of the cars as well

Just a suggestion to the admins is all, since the infrastructure and community exists here already
the admins dont exist here.

TCL is actually its own site, fwiw.

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2010 GTI
FB is the absolute main reason for this. Now days, everyone is all about instant gratification and wanting people to give them answers w/out doing any research on their own. I was admin to an air-cooled VW forum and it's completely dead. We had reluctantly started a group on FB for our club, but now that's all we have unfortunately. We had a server issue with our board host and we lost the data not long after that. I still own the URL, but no one to fix the actual site. The FB group is alive and thriving (14k members), but the format and sub-par search feature do not lend themselves to make it as organized as many would like it to be.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
...but the format and sub-par search feature do not lend themselves to make it as organized as many would like it to be.
This is the reason, that for actual useful information that is researchable, Facebook isn't as good as something like a forum. A bunch of people asking the same questions daily since you can't find it easily. If you thought the forum was bad for "what oil do you run" or "what should my spark plug gap be," Facebook is one hundred times worse.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
There is a small semi active community of mk4 users left on vortex. Some go as far as putting common fixes in their sigs because there’s so many transients just looking for a quick response.

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2010 GTI
This is the reason, that for actual useful information that is researchable, Facebook isn't as good as something like a forum. A bunch of people asking the same questions daily since you can't find it easily. If you thought the forum was bad for "what oil do you run" or "what should my spark plug gap be," Facebook is one hundred times worse.
Oh absolutely