GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can someone please clarify?

Yega

I want R32!!
First of all I apologize for starting what to some might seem a silly and pointless thread but I just need to get this clear in my head.

I've been reading the forums and trying to find out information about the "world of suspension" and just need someone to clarify what the following do:

- Springs
- Shocks
- Dampers
- Coilovers

From what I understand Springs control how low your car sits on the chassis. They give you better response when cornering and also lower the centre of gravity. However they haven't got much to do with smoothness over pot holes and speed bumps.

That’s where Shocks come in, right? A good match on Springs + Shocks will give a smooth ride and better handling as well as lowering your car for the looks.

Now where do Dampers and Coilovers come into this? Are Coilovers like Springs but just better? I'm getting a bit confused. I know its a "one or the other" kind of thing, but which ones do the same job but just in a different way, if you know what I mean?

I'm considering purchasing something that will give me better handling and reduce the gap above the wheel without breaking the bank and at the moment Eibach Pro or Sportline Springs with stock Shocks sound like the way to go, but I want to research the subject completely.

Thx guys.

CW.GTI

Banned
Car(s)
VW
Dampers = Shocks.

Adjustable Dampers = Allows you to change the stiffness/softness of your ride.

Coilovers are a spring and shock combo. They are adjustable, usually for both front and rear. You adjust them with wrenches by lowering the collars that the springs sit on. The lower you set the collars, the lower the ride will be.

Yega

I want R32!!
That makes sense.

So really, this simplifies things as you can either have a springs + dampers (shocks) combo, which allows you to pick and choose the products/manufacturers you want, or just buy coilovers, which are the above but already assembled.

Would just buying some new springs and stay on stock shocks make a difference to the handling of the car?

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Car(s)
89, 97 Jetta, 07 GTI

Yega

I want R32!!
Thx for that Cybe, quite interesting.

I've decided that a set of springs is the way to go for now, with stock shocks.

I'm considering either Eibach Sportline 50/30 or Eibach Pro 30/30 springs - which ones would you guys recommend with just stock shocks?

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Car(s)
89, 97 Jetta, 07 GTI
If I'm not mistaken, the VW-approved 'Driver Gear' springs are Eibach. Search it up! That way if you do blow a shock, you'll be covered.