GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

can gateway version

Barretoc

Passed Driver's Ed
so i jus got an rcd-510 and i need to know which version my can bus is and i have no idea how to do tht .. can anyone help .. i have an 08 gti .. it already had an aftermarket radio

michail77

Go Kart Champion
but the version should be on it? a diy says I need a "version of L" or newer

Yes, you can tell by looking at the product number sticker. It will have the revision.

The hard part of the whole job is getting the foot well panel off. You have to disconnect the light wiring harness and ODBII port from the panel.

If you are reasonably nimble I've found sitting upside down in the seat is the easiest way to see up there. The location can change around depending on the model year. The top clip may be hard to reach with your fingers.

BTW, don't replace the gateway unless you have access to VCDS. Your old values will need to be recoded and recoded to the new gateway. And if you have VCDS you can scan the controller to find out the version you have.

The gateway is like a router that lets all the other controlling modules communicate. Weird things can happen if not coded properly.

Barretoc

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, you can tell by looking at the product number sticker. It will have the revision.

The hard part of the whole job is getting the foot well panel off. You have to disconnect the light wiring harness and ODBII port from the panel.

If you are reasonably nimble I've found sitting upside down in the seat is the easiest way to see up there. The location can change around depending on the model year. The top clip may be hard to reach with your fingers.

BTW, don't replace the gateway unless you have access to VCDS. Your old values will need to be recoded and recoded to the new gateway. And if you have VCDS you can scan the controller to find out the version you have.

The gateway is like a router that lets all the other controlling modules communicate. Weird things can happen if not coded properly.

and wht exactly will the product revision say like wht would i neeed to look for to know its the right revision

michail77

Go Kart Champion
That's a tough one. I had to upgrade my can gateway to support a 9w7 Bluetooth controller. I have a 2007 model and got a used one from a 2010 Tiguan for $40.

I think as long as the tech was made on or before the year of the gateway it should be good. I think it's 08 or 07 modes and earlier that usually have issues.

But make sure you don't do the swap until you have somebody with vcds to help. It requires a bit of coding to make the new one work.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, I tried posting this the other day, but I guess it didn't post.

This product can stop the battery drain, if you have the highline cluster. Also adds a bunch of useful information.

http://www.polarteam.net/en/65-polar-fis-advanced.html

I have a variation of that but mine is just to support the Bluetooth controller on the red highline.

It's a good company and you can message the software developers directly. The product seem popular in Europe.