GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camshaft Wear at 65K

Greeting all and thank you in advance for your sage advice. I'm a total newbie, so please forgive whatever needs forgiving. I'm seeking advice and counsel regarding a 2009 GTI with 65K, affectionately named Hazel.

Recently Hazel had an oil leak, dropping half a dozen quarter-sized spots a day for about 72 hours before I could get her to the mechanic, and in the process of getting that fixed it was discovered that, and I quote the repair place, "Cylinder head, Both intake and exhaust camshafts, gaskets, bolts, and fluids are in need of replacement. Cylinder head has severe damage to head and camshafts due to lack of oil." The car was driven about 30 miles during the time it was leaking. This is quoted as a 5K repair. I can't believe that such a tiny oil leak for such a short duration would cause this kind of damage. Other than that, she's had her oil changed every 7K miles, if not sooner, and maintenance has been by the book since day one. I love and baby this car, but now I'm totally heartbroken.

My questions are:
1. In your experienced opinion, how worn are these camshafts and in using the car to drive roughly 30 miles a day to and from work, is this something that's going to fail right now, soon, or in 20K miles? I've attached pictures for your reference.

2. If this were your car, and knowing that it also needs about another 1500K in 65K service (carbon build up, CV boot and axle, outer tie rods) and you just spent $1200 fix an oil leak, would you perform the repairs or see what you could get from CarMax and hope for better luck with your next vehicle?

3. In fixing the oil leak, did I just waste about $1200 if I do want to proceed with having the upper half of my engine replaced, meaning will all that need to be replaced again?

Again, thanks in advance to everyone who can share knowledge, time and opinions with me. I'll just be here softly weeping into my hands.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 206
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 202
That's what I thought as well. My real concern is how damaged are these camshafts and how badly am I hurting my car by running it like this until I can pull together the scratch to get them fixed. Its my understanding that once you open up an engine to do this kind of repair, the car will never be the same again and more and more problems will continue to crop up.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
If the work is performed properly with quality parts and procedures done correctly/seals replaced, etc there is no reason that the car shouldn't be reliable and run well afterward.

They noticed the cam wear when they were fixing an oil leak. To fix the leak they pretty much replaced every part in the oil system. I imagine they noticed the wear when they removed the head.

jad413

Ready to race!
If it was run dry for long enough to do that kind of damage to the cams then I suspect the turbo is not long for this world either... The oil warning light only seems to come on when it's really bone dry and these cars consume oil. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone