GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camaro ZL1 1LE or Shelby GT350

Giulio24

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all!

Although I've only had my Golf R for less than a year I'm already looking for its replacement. The R is an amazing car but it becomes very predictable (read: boring) after you track it more than a dozen times.

I'm thinking of getting one of the two cars that I mentioned in the title. I would buy a Shelby GT350R in a flash if only I could get it at MSRP but I just can't afford it with current mark-ups. However it looks like the "regular" GT350 with a larger front sway bar and the R springs delivers 95% of the driving experience of the GT350R for ~60 grand.

The new ZL1 1LE on the other hand has destroyed the GT350R on any track they were compared on, it looks more track capable and I could probably get one for below MSRP.

The ZL1 1LE wins on paper but I have a feeling that the GT350 might be more fun on track. What do you think? Which one would you get considering that I track a lot? I never had an American sports car so I'm really in the dark!

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
Have you had a chance to drive a GT350?

Did 25 laps at AMP in a GT350, felt well balanced, nimble, overall pretty solid.

If you can, try and get some seat time in a GT350, it might help you make your mind up.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
That crankshaft though.... it's badass on the Shelby. The new ZL1 is impressive and so is the standard SS. I even thought about getting the new SS as my next car as much as I love Mustangs and previously owned a 2003 Mach 1. It's a tough choice... Let us know what you decide! I think Chevy is having a $1000 cash allowance at the moment.

Giulio24

Passed Driver's Ed
GT350, Camaro's lack visibility (including side windows) has always been a turn off for me.

I sat in the regular ZL1 at the LA Auto Show and I had the same feeling. But I guess it's all about getting used to it, it lapped the Nur faster than most multi million dollars exotics after all :)

Have you had a chance to drive a GT350?

Did 25 laps at AMP in a GT350, felt well balanced, nimble, overall pretty solid.

If you can, try and get some seat time in a GT350, it might help you make your mind up.

I wish I could. It's already a miracle if I could get a regular test drive. I don't think I'll ever be able to get some track time unless I buy one myself. I haven't seen a single one at a track day yet. I don't understand what they buy them for!

Giulio24

Passed Driver's Ed
That crankshaft though.... it's badass on the Shelby. The new ZL1 is impressive and so is the standard SS. I even thought about getting the new SS as my next car as much as I love Mustangs and previously owned a 2003 Mach 1. It's a tough choice... Let us know what you decide! I think Chevy is having a $1000 cash allowance at the moment.

That's the thing! So far the Camaro has proven itself to be a much superior car on the track compared to the Mustang. But I'm not sure which one is actually more fun once you're behind the wheel. I don't know why but I feel the GT350 might be more fun. The problem is that unless you're some top-tier car journalist there's no way you'll be able to drive them on a track back to back and decide for yourself.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I sat in the regular ZL1 at the LA Auto Show and I had the same feeling. But I guess it's all about getting used to it, it lapped the Nur faster than most multi million dollars exotics after all :)

I wish I could. It's already a miracle if I could get a regular test drive. I don't think I'll ever be able to get some track time unless I buy one myself. I haven't seen a single one at a track day yet. I don't understand what they buy them for!

A lot of collectors just garage them immediately. That's probably what will happen to 95% of the GT's. I think Ford tried to screen the sales to people who would actually use them, but good luck with that. They'll be flipped to collectors for a quick buck mostly.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
For a track car, GT350R all day long because its better balanced and setup right out of the box to be a track monster. For a track car that will double as a street car, ZL1 all day long... because much more low end torque/usable powerband and GM's magnetic ride is AMAZING on the streets. I owned the porky 5th gen ZL1 for a little while in 2013, a very comfy daily car that held its own on the track for how heavy it was... but a Boss 5.0 back then would walk away from me on the track.

Giulio24

Passed Driver's Ed
For a track car, GT350R all day long because its better balanced and setup right out of the box to be a track monster. For a track car that will double as a street car, ZL1 all day long... because much more low end torque/usable powerband and GM's magnetic ride is AMAZING on the streets. I owned the porky 5th gen ZL1 for a little while in 2013, a very comfy daily car that held its own on the track for how heavy it was... but a Boss 5.0 back then would walk away from me on the track.

Yea but the GT350R is unreachable due to ADM. However I can get very close with a GT350 with minimal mods. Your point is absolutely right for the standard ZL1, but I'm interested in the ZL1 with 1LE package. I think that the latter is much more track capable than the GT350/GT350R. My only doubt is the fun factor.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
You guys who can have RWD cars make me envious. In the frozen wastelands here, AWD or FWD only, unless you can have two really nice cars (because, given winter is so long, who wants to drive a beater for over half the year?).

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
You guys who can have RWD cars make me envious. In the frozen wastelands here, AWD or FWD only, unless you can have two really nice cars (because, given winter is so long, who wants to drive a beater for over half the year?).

Move South :D

Towerworld

Passed Driver's Ed

The new camaro's are amazing especially the 1LE, totally different animal than the 5th gen in regards to handling.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Move South :D

Hell, I moved north; I'm from Atlanta. My wife is from New York and refuses to live anywhere south of there, and besides, as an academic, I have the job I want and it's not exactly portable. In truth, not having RWD cars is a price I can afford to pay for all the other benefits. I can endure the winter if I just don't think about it much!