GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam follower with 78 000 miles, problem?

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
I think this problem is over exaggerated.

This is 78 000 miles and never changed, all kinds of different oils were used over the life of the car from OEM to whatever Mr Lube put in, to Mobil 1 0w 40w now.

Car is APR Stage 1 - 2008

Vageline

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07' GTI
i had mine changed at 35k and mine had tiny fractures in-between the holes. also mine was caved in. mine prolly was going to pop through any time and id say i caught it just in time. the problem isnt over rated, you just got lucky is all

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
i had mine changed at 35k and mine had tiny fractures in-between the holes. also mine was caved in. mine prolly was going to pop through any time and id say i caught it just in time. the problem isnt over rated, you just got lucky is all

Out of all of the 2.0T FSI produced, what percent have actually had a problem like yours?

I would wager it is a very small percentage in comparison to the total production number.

Vageline

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07' GTI
Out of all of the 2.0T FSI produced, what percent have actually had a problem like yours?

I would wager it is a very small percentage in comparison to the total production number.

well, looking at a vw repair shops library of cf, almost all of them looked as though they needed changing at around 30-40k miles. the highest they had before popping was about 50 or 60k miles and then they had several cf that popped.

so id say ive seen a lot. you are lucky you got that much. the cf crap is bs and i cant wait till hpfp guys come out with theirs.

six2one

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine had 92k before I noticed it completely/epically failed.

The entire follower was missing. Shattered and fell into the valve cover right below the opening.

Fuel pump was riding right on camshaft. Fuel pump piston was slightly ground down and bent.

Warranty covers this till 120k.

My car is apr 2 w/ ATP, evoms, autotech, etc. dealer warrantied no problem.

Car ran just fine. No warning lights and vagcom was happy. Performance was as good as usual. Only symptom was a *slightly* louder clicking when at idle.

Now I have all new fuel pump, follower, cams and some valves :D

Problem solved.

To be fair I got the warranty/recall extension 2 days after it failed.

Jonnyflash

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Mine just had some of the black coating missing from the center when I checked it at 65000 miles. The cam follower and cam still felt smooth as glass. I have a new one but haven't put it in yet because I'm not worried about it wearing through any time soon.
I'd love to know what causes some people's cam follower to wear out with far fewer miles on them. It's probably not as simple as who has the A cam vs B cam is it? I think I have the B cam but I'm not positive as I've only seen the front face of the lobe.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
Mine just had some of the black coating missing from the center when I checked it at 65000 miles. The cam follower and cam still felt smooth as glass. I have a new one but haven't put it in yet because I'm not worried about it wearing through any time soon.
I'd love to know what causes some people's cam follower to wear out with far fewer miles on them. It's probably not as simple as who has the A cam vs B cam is it? I think I have the B cam but I'm not positive as I've only seen the front face of the lobe.

I would think it would depends on the cam, the requested fuel pressure, the pump, and the oil quality and cleanliness, among other factors.