GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam Follower Replacement

Dubber13

Fahrvergnügen
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Ok I know there are quite a few threads out there on how to do this step by step.

I am going to use this one it looks very detailed:

http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102858

As far as I can see the replacement looks simple enough.

I would like to have some of your comments and see what situations you may have had or suggestions on how to do this. I am a smidge nervous due to the fact I just dumped quite a bit of money into getting my new wheels and lowering springs and the last thing I need is a blown engine lol. Which has 62k and from my readings needs the follower replaced.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated :happyanim:

I am thinking of ordering the part from here:

http://www.dbcperformance.com/2_0T_Fuel_Pump_Cam_Follower_p/06d109309c.htm

It seems cheaper than anywhere else I have seen. Do any of you guys have a cheaper place to get this part from?

Thank You

dbc is the cheapest ive seen. only way cheaper is to buy from another dubber that got one but didnt need it. also, its really easy to do. I pulled my pump and swapped followers in 15 minutes probably. itll probably take longer if you dont gather the tools you need first and have the stock airbox. That and some people are complaining about a "banjo bolt" that either i have and dont realize or dont have.

apollosfury

designeddwk
dbc is the cheapest ive seen. only way cheaper is to buy from another dubber that got one but didnt need it. also, its really easy to do. I pulled my pump and swapped followers in 15 minutes probably. itll probably take longer if you dont gather the tools you need first and have the stock airbox. That and some people are complaining about a "banjo bolt" that either i have and dont realize or dont have.

this. just got one from dbc last week that i need to put in this weekend. was the cheapest place i found (part +shipping).

to swap them is pretty simple. a good DIY is all you really need.

Elwood

3-7-77
Yea I have heard about the "Banjo Bolt" what is that all about?
Older FSI engines have a banjo bolt fitting for the fuel line going into the HPFP. Its a real bugger to get to and it has to be removed to get the pump off. I believe its just on the 2006 models. I have a 2007 and I don't have it. Instead, VW just uses a flexible rubber line that you don't even have to remove to get the HPFP off.

xatnys360

Ready to race!
My advise would be to not sweat it. I bought my '07 GTI back in July and jumped right in - I immediately ordered a new cam follower and replaced it a couple weeks later. The DIY is very straight forward, everything you are working on is easily accessible, and if you use a torque wrench on the re-install, there really isn't anything at all to worry about. Just be sure you use more rags than you think you will need when you bleed pressure off the pump - mine sprayed pretty good, but that's an issue hardly even worth mentioning. And be sure to give the new follower a good coating of oil before reinstalling.

Oh, and be sure to post a side-by-side of the old and new follower along with your current mileage. It's always interesting to see the wear differences between different people's rides.

egyptianGTI

Weezy F
Car(s)
GTI
My advise would be to not sweat it. I bought my '07 GTI back in July and jumped right in - I immediately ordered a new cam follower and replaced it a couple weeks later. The DIY is very straight forward, everything you are working on is easily accessible, and if you use a torque wrench on the re-install, there really isn't anything at all to worry about. Just be sure you use more rags than you think you will need when you bleed pressure off the pump - mine sprayed pretty good, but that's an issue hardly even worth mentioning. And be sure to give the new follower a good coating of oil before reinstalling.

Oh, and be sure to post a side-by-side of the old and new follower along with your current mileage. It's always interesting to see the wear differences between different people's rides.
Also a concerned dubber.....
What exactly do you mean by giving the follower a good coat of oil? Do you mean fuel or engine oil?

Sent from Saturn

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Also a concerned dubber.....
What exactly do you mean by giving the follower a good coat of oil? Do you mean fuel or engine oil?

Sent from Saturn

He means engine oil. When I changed mine a month or two ago I simply ran my finger across some of the oil that had settled in the opening where the cam follower normally rests and rubbed it all over the follower. On the face, back, and all around the sides. Do this and you should be fine.

FlaDubNut

Rice Eater
Car(s)
2007 GTI 2DR
I have an '07 stage 2 with 68k on it-cam follower was perfect when I checked it. Keep your receipt..you may not need one after all.

xatnys360

Ready to race!
Yes, engine oil - 5W40 or whatever you use. The wetter, the better.

apollosfury

designeddwk
I have an '07 stage 2 with 68k on it-cam follower was perfect when I checked it. Keep your receipt..you may not need one after all.

it's all fun and games until someone's motor swallows a cam follower...

Dubber13

Fahrvergnügen
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Where can I find the screw driver he used int DIY link to release the fuel pump pressure? What is called?

Dubber13

Fahrvergnügen
Car(s)
2007 GTI

How many pounds of pressure did you apply when you torqued the Fuel pump?