drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI

MK-FIVE

Banned
Car(s)
VOLKSWAGEN GTI 2006
You guys didn't know that opening the door primes the fuel pump?
Next time open the door and listen closely to the engine bay, there should be a very slight sound, that's the hpfp getting primed.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Next time open the door and listen closely to the engine bay, there should be a very slight sound, that's the hpfp getting primed.

you know I do remember hearing that when I first bought the car, but it sure doesn't do it anymore. I prime by turning the key to the on position and off again a few times.

Car(s)
2008 GTI

^^^This^^^

MK-FIVE

Banned
Car(s)
VOLKSWAGEN GTI 2006
Yeah, I honestly don't know what's going on with your car, but my car still primes when opening the door...

Car(s)
2008 GTI
you know I do remember hearing that when I first bought the car, but it sure doesn't do it anymore. I prime by turning the key to the on position and off again a few times.

The door latch that does this is prone to breaking. If yours used to and it doesn't now you might want to check that.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
The door latch that does this is prone to breaking. If yours used to and it doesn't now you might want to check that.

yea actually had VW replace mine last year, the lights and MFD would never work when I opened the door, now they do though.

Car(s)
2008 GTI
yea actually had VW replace mine last year, the lights and MFD would never work when I opened the door, now they do though.

That's the tell tale sign. Mine doesn't work when it's below 0 sometimes.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
That's the tell tale sign. Mine doesn't work when it's below 0 sometimes.

yea like I said the lights and MFD work with it now, so I'm not really worried about the fuel pump not priming. Plus who knows it may have something to do with all the vag-com changes I've made. One of the biggest was getting the brake pad wear sensor disabled, that thing made all kinds of weird changes lol, like my coming home feature doesn't work anymore lol

Erik S.

Car(s)
2008 Gti/ 2-dr
Oh okay good, then yes I did prime it. Yeah I always hear the pump spin up when I open the door after the car has been sitting over night. There'd really be no way to not prime it unless you climbed in the passenger door and scooted over. By "priming the fuel" I thought there was some sort of Nascar-type trick using a squeeze bottle and gas into the intake or something lol.

Car(s)
2008 GTI
Oh okay good, then yes I did prime it. Yeah I always hear the pump spin up when I open the door after the car has been sitting over night. There'd really be no way to not prime it unless you climbed in the passenger door and scooted over. By "priming the fuel" I thought there was some sort of Nascar-type trick using a squeeze bottle and gas into the intake or something lol.

Yeah. Usually it's good practice to do the door key thing a few times. You have to imagine that when it does that only once it's for daily use. But if you have to completely pressurize it might take a few times.

xREVERENDx

I really don't get why people freak out about the cam follower, my cars got 47k miles on it and the cam follower looks damn near new. Cam looks perfect too. And i've checked service history on my car and its never been replaced, or atleast hasn't ever been reported.

MK-FIVE

Banned
Car(s)
VOLKSWAGEN GTI 2006
I guess every car is different, but once you are tuned you have to check up on it... Unless you already are tuned....