GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Calling suspension gurus...

franjae

Passed Driver's Ed
ok, what is the best way to achieve a bit more suspension compliance for around town, just to keep the missus happy. She hates riding in my car because "it is so bumpy!!"

I'm happy to give up some sharp handling to achieve this. Any easy fix?....no smart comments please.....:paddle:

If not what spring and shock combination would work? Thanks in advance.

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
Two excellent combinations are:
Koni FSDs plus Neuspeed Sport Springs - drops your ride about 20mm but ride, comfort & the 'compliance' complaint mentioned by your missus are all improved immensely. Win/win!
Koni FSDs plus Eibach Pro Kit springs - similar to above but springs about 5-10% stiffer & possibly more suspension noises like knocking etc.

To keep both of you happy I would recommend option 1 100%. Forget changing sway bars as that will somewhat negate the ride/comfort changes of the spring/shock changes at low speeds even though higher speed handling will be improved again.

Booba

Ready to race!
So mr YouSnooze, do you think option 1 will actually be better ride comfort than stock whilst having 20mm heigh drop? I am very keen to find something that is lower but still excellent comfort that the stock springs offer.

If I don't find a good recommendation then stock springs will be on the car in 2,000km when I get next service.

franjae

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't want to go any lower than stock. I think the Pirelli is already lower?? I just want the stiffness backed out a touch.......Can I go for softer springs maybe?

YouSnooze

Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
So mr YouSnooze, do you think option 1 will actually be better ride comfort than stock whilst having 20mm height drop?
Absolutely positively 100%. Beats stock hands down. The FSDs filter out those nasty road imperfections beautifully. Go for a search in WJs suspension thread & you'll find comprehensive reviews of my car when it had this kit (but also aftermarket swaybars) - although the thread has a more performance oriented slant.

YouSnooze

Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
I don't want to go any lower than stock. I think the Pirelli is already lower?? I just want the stiffness backed out a touch.......Can I go for softer springs maybe?
My comment re: ride height was for the standard GTI, not the Pirelli. I'm not exactly sure what they'll do with the 'relli (if anything). Maybe someone else out in the interwebz will know. Don't just go with softer springs - get the shocks done as well. The Neuspeed Sport springs are a progressive spring - softer on the initial travel from low speed impacts but get firmer as you load 'em up a bit more. This gives the effect of great ride around town but still way better than OEM when you give it some berries. These springs are perfectly matched to the Koni FSD shocks which take out those 'high frequency' road imperfections which Australia is famous for.

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
I concur with the Sleep Doc... but in a TDI which obviously is nose-heavier.
I've found the limits of the springs in the twisties but that's driving roads somewhat differently to someone driving to lawn bowls. ;)

The difference from my TDI stock suspension was immense.

However a trade-off for me from going from my tractor height to nicely low is that the springs, like any lowered springs, are bouncier than stock-height cars.

That only is a problem if the road has bump after bump after bump - like the roads above the coalmines, in the Hunter!

Booba

Ready to race!
Right and the best place to purchase such a combination in Australia? I have about 2000km left to service so will get it done then.

*edit* this one? - http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/..._KONI_FSD_Shocks_Pro_Cup_Kit&products_id=1434

Absolutely positively 100%. Beats stock hands down. The FSDs filter out those nasty road imperfections beautifully. Go for a search in WJs suspension thread & you'll find comprehensive reviews of my car when it had this kit (but also aftermarket swaybars) - although the thread has a more performance oriented slant.

Last edited:

YouSnooze

Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
I think you can still get them from Rennenhaus - but it is not shown on the website. Just ask Ian if he can help you. The price from MJM Autohaus is excellent with our dollar's current strength. If you could get them landed in Oz for under $1000 you're laughing. You won't regret it Booba.

Booba

Ready to race!
Awesome. I will email Ian to see what he can do anyway. I currently have the Tein suspension with the edfc adjustable dampening controller but it is so rough.

I think you can still get them from Rennenhaus - but it is not shown on the website. Just ask Ian if he can help you. The price from MJM Autohaus is excellent with our dollar's current strength. If you could get them landed in Oz for under $1000 you're laughing. You won't regret it Booba.

franjae

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds good YS.....cheaper than a new car if it does the trick! I'll check how much it is to get them fitted.

Cheers

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
for the KOni FSD they will do the job you want. specifically designed for that function

shauno

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf MkV GTI
Agree that the Koni FSD on their own should be an improvement...

If the Pirelli is lower than a stock GTI, you could always put in some stock springs? There should be plenty available!