GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Budget of ~$35,000 for a DD. What to buy?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I did not comment on the 335 for a reason. To say a B7 S4 SUCKS is a reach... Especially coming from any of us here with GTI's...

I previously said the S4 wouldn't be good on the track and wouldn't be a fun toy/play car. I agree with you. The OP said he was looking for a DD car. And you agreed that the S4 is a better DD car...:confused: Who likes to argue here??

I know I would still rather have a B7 S4 over a comparable 335i X-Drive. They have the same performance (S4 and 335i X-Drive Sedan) but the 3 has a worse interior, and Quattro > X-Drive.

And in terms of gas mileage;
B7 S4 - 15/23mpg
335i X-Drive Sedan - 16/25mpg

I will take that small hit for 40 more hp, 1.2L more displacement, and 2 more cylinders...

S4 > 335i X-Drive Sedan (B7 and EASILY B8)

And Audis CPO warranty is one of the best there is. Better than BMW's... VERY important when buying a used high-performance European car.

As I've owned "better" cars than the GTI, I feel I can accurately comment that the B7 S4 basically.... sucks, primarily for how much it costs and how it drives. I do agree with your other points - esp on the interior and seats.

That said, I still would much rather drive/have a 335xi over that S4 for the easy tunability and better handling/driving feel, imho. I agree tho, the CPO audi warranty would probably be better. B8 S4.. that's a whole nother story, hell I almost just bought one, lol...

C4L

Banned
As I've owned "better" cars than the GTI, I feel I can accurately comment that the B7 S4 basically.... sucks, primarily for how much it costs and how it drives. I do agree with your other points - esp on the interior and seats.

That said, I still would much rather drive/have a 335xi over that S4 for the easy tunability and better handling/driving feel, imho. I agree tho, the CPO audi warranty would probably be better. B8 S4.. that's a whole nother story, hell I almost just bought one, lol...

You just really must not like the 'feel' of the B7 S4. Handling wise, it is better than the Bimmer, by the numbers. Skidpad, slalom, etc. It probably just doesn't feel like it to you because you are constantly aware of its weight and the fact that that big heavy motor sits in front of the front axle...

Same with the straightline performance. Both cars will hit 60mph in 5.2 seconds or so and through the 1/4 in roughly 13.5 seconds. You just like the 'feel' of your previously owned N54 Twin-Turbo 3.0 I6 335 to the N/A 4.2 V8 S4.

Those 'feelings' are all subjective though so I cannot comment of course. The numbers are there and speak for themselves. I personally prefer the pull (and certainly sound) of a 340hp 4.2L V8 in a car the size of a MKVI Jetta (not weight though) than the N54 3-Series.

Both handle better than my OE GTI and being driven as a DD car that wouldn't be a huge area of contention for me or likely the OP as he has a GTI now.

And if I am not mistaken, the N54 cars have some reliability issues, no? HPFP's and such...
While the V8-powered S4's are certainly not the pinnacle of reliability, they are more reliable than the N54 cars FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN...

Tune-ability of a forced induction car to a naturally aspirated one is no comparison. That, however, assumes that the OP would modify a DD car. The S4 already starts out with a 40hp advantage over the 335.

Odds are good that if he is fine with the performance of his GTI, he would be more than happy with the performance of the S4 as well.

And performance and power aside, the B7 S4 is better than the 335i X-Drive Sedan in every other way IMO. The S4 just feels (and sounds and looks) more special to me. A few ticks to 60 or at-the-limit steering feel don't make up for all that is the S4 to me.

I think both are great cars. Neither 'suck', regardless of which one we think (and disagree on) is better

Last edited:

C4L

Banned
And honestly I think something new would be a better route to go. $35k in new cars does quite well. I think $30k-$35k is a good price point new.

CC - $32k-$33k does very well in the 2013 CC 2.0T Sport Plus - 3 year Warranty/Maintenance. Go Stage 1 for a $1,000 if you want more power/performance.

S60 T5 - $35k-$36k does very well in the 2012 S60 T5 - 5 year Warranty/Maintenance. Polestar is available right from the dealer!!!

OR EVEN

Legacy 2.5 GT Limited - $32k 100% loaded for 265hp, 6MT, and AWD... DUMB reliable with full warranty of course and a very high residual value.

Those would be the SMART choices FOR A DD. Maybe not the most fun but all three would offer a good mix of luxury, features/amenities, performance, practicality, efficiency, and whatnot. All while offering the lowest cost of ownership compared to something like a used S4 or 335 or Evo or STI or the like.

Fiveflat

Ready to race!
Didn't bother reading through all the bickering... Not sure what the price point will be or if Audi will even bring the S3 here...

BS2H

Ready to race!
If it was my $35k I'd go for a CPO 2010+ A5, 2009-2010 Cayman or used 2011+ 335i.

I say test drive them all and let us know which one you choose.

hpowders

Ready to race!
A 2005 Porsche 911.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
If you only drive 5 miles to work and still have the gti for longer trips with the wife,then I would get the car you always wanted, which is the Porsche. Find a good cpo'd one and your good. If your young and planning to have kids do it now before you have them.

disclaf

Ready to race!
Again, thanks for all the great input.

Yesterday I swung by my local Porsche dealer to find out if they had any 2008-2009 Caymans coming in from lease - the saleswoman I spoke with said that she will know more next month when Porsche USA gets more info about deliveries of the new Boxster.

I think the Cayman might be a bit out of reach because of the maintenance costs - I do need to do my homework though, and find out more info about parts costs and ask my mechanic about labor costs for routine maintenance on the Cayman.

Today I stopped by my VW dealer after work & briefly spoke to my salesman about ordering an R - he said that he would check to see what's coming in & email me. I would like a TR 4 door, which would most likely mean special order. I'm not in a rush, so I can wait a few months if I decide to go for the R.

As for the A4 vs. B7 S4, A5/S5, 135i/335xi - I really need to drive all of them and compare my experience with all of yours. All of them look very attractive, especially the A5/S5, and a Stage 1 tune would do the trick power-wise.

And the 2005 911? - I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that it wasn't garaged :p

disclaf

Ready to race!
If you only drive 5 miles to work and still have the gti for longer trips with the wife,then I would get the car you always wanted, which is the Porsche. Find a good cpo'd one and your good. If your young and planning to have kids do it now before you have them.

This is what I have been thinking all along...
No kids and not planning any - the Cayman would be my kid! :thumbsup:

GSXR

Passed Driver's Ed
I test drove my coworker's 2011 Boxster S and it was a blast. It's a very different feel when the car is mid engine. The handling was amazing and the car had virtually no body roll. The ride was decent but as a daily driver, it might be a bit on the loud side. Great car and I would've bought one if it was a ton cheaper. He paid over $80k. Yikes.

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
MCS, Fiat Abarth or how about a lightweight Miata/CRZ/Genesis Coupe?

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
I'm Sorry, try this out.

Attachments

• mDRpA.jpg
    mDRpA.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 174

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I test drove my coworker's 2011 Boxster S and it was a blast. It's a very different feel when the car is mid engine. The handling was amazing and the car had virtually no body roll. The ride was decent but as a daily driver, it might be a bit on the loud side. Great car and I would've bought one if it was a ton cheaper. He paid over $80k. Yikes.

that's why Porsche is one of those brands I just can't see ever buying new. Similar to BMW and Mercedes, its just not worth it. The options go crazy and you end up paying for $20K in options just to have Nav, a decent stereo, and maybe some aero options. Buying it used saves a ton of money. My 911 was over $40K less when I bought used.... just over 5 years later. Gives new meaning to the word "depreciation". You can find Cayman S's used from 06-08 at $35K and below.