GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Break In Questions

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
Got mine with some miles on it. Was probably beaten while brand new...

I'm more than 20k miles now, and the engine is lovely. No oil consumption. Though I make oil changes with GC / Motul Spec each 3-4k.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
Got mine with some miles on it. Was probably beaten while brand new...

I'm more than 20k miles now, and the engine is lovely. No oil consumption. Though I make oil changes with GC / Motul Spec each 3-4k.

shoot for 5k. gc and motul can both handle 10k fine, but a change every 5k is playing it safe. at 3k, you are without a doubt wasting oil.

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
shoot for 5k. gc and motul can both handle 10k fine, but a change every 5k is playing it safe. at 3k, you are without a doubt wasting oil.

Yeah probably...

But I usually change oil after/before winter. Like GC probably had a rough time this winter, so it's time to change (Motul on summer). And when winter approaches, I want 0W protection...

I pay 35$ for 5L GC, and 45$ for Motul jug...doesn't cost a lot.

And I'm in km lol, used to change each 5-6k km :eek:

502fasthatch

Ready to race!
Im at 1500 now and wanting to change oil at 3k-5k miles every interval. since this is my first your saying i should wait until 5k

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
3k to 5k!! That's mad. Even 5k is.
Once a year or 10,000 miles is fine.
USA is the only country I have heard this 3k and 5k oil change "recommendation" stuff. I put it down to just another fear factor duping people out of money ploy.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
DUde, you are perfectly fine off the lot. If it makes you feel better and give you peace of mind drive it easy for 1000 miles. But if you have a sudden spark of insanity and floor it, you'll wont hurt anything.

This is re-assuring. Contemplating getting either a GTI or GLI soon, and to be completely honest if I get a GTI (with DSG) I don't think I could stop myself from testing out the launch control the day of purchasing it.

:burnrubber:

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
This is re-assuring. Contemplating getting either a GTI or GLI soon, and to be completely honest if I get a GTI (with DSG) I don't think I could stop myself from testing out the launch control the day of purchasing it.

:burnrubber:

Good choice !!!! If you wish new summer rubbers :happyanim:

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
Im at 1500 now and wanting to change oil at 3k-5k miles every interval. since this is my first your saying i should wait until 5k

yes. its a heavily debated topic and ive done a ton of searching. 5k is when ill be doing my first oil change, and 5k intervals from that point on.

502fasthatch

Ready to race!
yes. its a heavily debated topic and ive done a ton of searching. 5k is when ill be doing my first oil change, and 5k intervals from that point on.

Ok so just curious if you drive your car alot like 3000 miles in 2 months tghen your gunna lose a tiny bit of oil. I couldnt see how youd drive for 10k miles and not be at least 3/4 of a quart low?

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion

Changes are done at 30,000km per my dealer here in Germany. Your oil from the factory is fine until 10,000 miles. Do not throw out/waste perfectly good oil.

Wait till 10,000mi unless you are towing something or tracking every day.
There is zero debate on how good oil is currently, but its your money.

I have a US model GTI here in Germany. I get the lecture from dealer mechanics just about every time Im there because Ive asked. They would gladly take my money if required.

They wont because the car, oil and engine are just fine. This coming from the country where its built and driven faster on a daily basis than the US. End of story.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
Ok so just curious if you drive your car alot like 3000 miles in 2 months tghen your gunna lose a tiny bit of oil. I couldnt see how youd drive for 10k miles and not be at least 3/4 of a quart low?

yea, you can always top it off, thats no problem. if you do oil changes every 5k, you prob wont need to top it off in between changes.

Changes are done at 30,000km per my dealer here in Germany. Your oil from the factory is fine until 10,000 miles. Do not throw out/waste perfectly good oil.

Wait till 10,000mi unless you are towing something or tracking every day.
There is zero debate on how good oil is currently, but its your money.

I have a US model GTI here in Germany. I get the lecture from dealer mechanics just about every time Im there because Ive asked. They would gladly take my money if required.

They wont because the car, oil and engine are just fine. This coming from the country where its built and driven faster on a daily basis than the US. End of story.

idc what the oil is, or who tells me, 10k for oil to stay in your car is a pretty long period of time. an oil change is such a cheap piece of mind. knowing there is no harmful materials passing your filter and going into circulation, especially in a new engine block, or enough additives left in the oil to decrease wear.

Last edited:

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
yea, you can always top it off, thats no problem. if you do oil changes every 5k, you prob wont need to top it off in between changes.

idc what the oil is, or who tells me, 10k for oil to stay in your car is a pretty long period of time. an oil change is such a cheap piece of mind. knowing there is no harmful materials passing your filter and going into circulation, especially in a new engine block, or enough additives left in the oil to decrease wear.

You lost me at idc - i suppose cryptically speaking it means i dont care. Enough said.

When you do wake up to reality, oil, and your car try this -
- Bob is the Oil Guy
www.bobistheoilguy.com

Start here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

This might give you insight into how much you dont know.

Here is a news article and analysis of the issue from April 2012:
http://autos.sympatico.ca/maintenan...longer-oil-change-intervals-good-for-your-car

Last edited:

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
You lost me at idc - i suppose cryptically speaking it means i dont care. Enough said.

When you do wake up to reality, oil, and your car try this -
- Bob is the Oil Guy
www.bobistheoilguy.com

Start here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

This might give you insight into how much you dont know.

Here is a news article and analysis of the issue from April 2012:
http://autos.sympatico.ca/maintenan...longer-oil-change-intervals-good-for-your-car

i dnt understand why you are having trouble reading my post, unless you cant read. maybe my indie mechanic goes on bob the oil guy too. i guess apr and the vw techs go on there too. oh nvm, they all recommend 5k intervals. do whatever floats your boat ma dude, it not my car.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
2008.5 TSI's still were on the FSI service plan. 5K intervals then was bumped up to 10K when they started offering free service up to 36K. That's 3 oil changes compared to 7. Its a budget cut.

Change your oil every 5K miles if you even THINK you're going beyond stock.