GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake Fluid DOT 5.1 ?

Parky

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a mkv gti and thinking of putting in dot 5.1 synthetic brake fluid with the braided lines and hawk pads i already have. Will this 5.1 fluid work with our cars and the master cylinders?

Ben

BlackVR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI
DOT 5.1 should work just fine. Are you planning on tracking your car a significant amount? Otherwise DOT 3 or DOT 4 would be perfectly adequate.

DOT 5 is silicone based, but DOT 5.1 is glycol based like DOT 3 and 4, so 5.1 is compatible.

Parky

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, i just came back from a track day yesterday, I already have 4 more pre-booked track days in the next 5 months :D LOL.
Also of you hear squeaking in your brakes does this mean your pads a re gone ?

donnyboyy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 UG gti 6spd with
So your tracking your car.... You have hawk pads that are known to squeak and you have a brake pad wear indicator and your not sure what the sound is.....hmmMmmmm I'd say sell that car!

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I know this is old....but felt this should be added:
DOT; 3_4_5.1 are all glycol base fluids.
DOT 5 is a silicone base and should not be mixed with those others.
Other brake fluids with higher boiling points will state which fluids they are compatible with. But to gain their full advantage, you should drain the system completely.

Here is one chart on boiling points...and to show why you should drain and replace brake fluid yearly.
Wet Boiling Point is when there is 3.7% water within the fluid...and this may occur at near two years. There can be near 2% water in fluid in the brake system in just one year. Water can be nearing 3% in just 18 months. Some fluid, like Brembo LCF 600 Plus has boiling points of 601°F dry__399°F wet__and is compatible with DOT 3_4_5.1. But again, a system should be completely drained so to not lower the performance of say a Brembo LCF 600 Plus.
afluid.png