GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Both rear wheel bearings are bad

criminalGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
What's up guys. 09 MKV GTI TSI 67K Stage 2+ I just wanted to make a thread for people's reference if they ever run into this. I am lowered Rokkor coilovers. I've been on them for about two years. When I installed them, I got an alignment a week later so they settled yada yada. Well a year later, the rear lower bushing on the strut came loose from both sides. Rokkor sent me two new ones. I replaced them. Never got an alignment afterwards (shame on me). A year later after that (about two months ago), the rear lower strut bushings popped again, so Rokkor sent me two new ones. Now I rigged a washer system so if they pop again then the strut won't slide off the lower mount arm so I won't be replacing them yearly. Again, I didn't get an alignment (shame on me). Now last week, I got in the car, got to about 40mph and a really bad howl sound was coming from the rear, like really bad tire noise/wheel bearing noise. Like a "whirrr" sound. And it wasn't rpm related, which is good, only speed related, so I knew it was something that was a moving part. As I got faster, it got louder. Then even worse, when I would slow to a stop, it would really "whooorrrrorrrooorrroorr". But nothing super crazy. Like it wasn't grinding or vibrating or anything, just howling. So I'm like wtf. I check the tires and there's no crazy wear. I smell the tires, and nothing rubbing so it didn't smell like burning rubber. I feel the rotors, nothing is getting caught up or hung up or stuck piston, nothing like that. Then I go the store and every time I stop, I've been hawk-eyeing the rears because I can tell it's coming from back there. So I took a look, and BAM, right around the "VW" center cap of BOTH rear wheels is a really thick perfect ring around the cap of our well-known black soot that we get. It's not all over the wheel or anything, just perfectly around the center cap. I said to myself, say no more. BOTH rear wheel bearings went bad at the EXACT same time. How fucking crazy is that? And I'm positive it's because of me being lowered obviously with that negative angle. The bearing is riding unevenly on the tops just waiting to bust. So I just got the bearings replaced under warranty. Otherwise was a $650 job. I just did that today, and I'm getting an alignment this week. That way I can free up that harsh wear on the bearings that I'm sure I'm causing. So if anyone has this, this is my experience, and I'm sure it's all my fault for being lazy and not getting an alignment... TWICE! Fuck me. But yeah, we're all good. Share your similar stories guys. Thanks.