GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bored+plasti-dip=

paulnur

Rookie
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
OP, you could plastidip and then paint the wheels with a rattle can. saw a guy on Vortex do it...makes sense because then you can peel the paint off with the plastidip. just a thought.

Peeling plastdip as is = easy
Peeling plastidp after adding 2-3 coats of clear coat = nightmare

Sicktred08fsi

Banned
Car(s)
K04`d B6
Peeling plastdip as is = easy
Peeling plastidp after adding 2-3 coats of clear coat = nightmare

Not if the surface was prepped correctly and enough coats of Plasti Dip was applied. Given, its not as easy as peeling only PlastiDip.

I painted my Touareg wheels with PlastiDip then another color of spray paint over it. What i did to remove the paint was heat the wheel painted surface up a bit with a heat gun, and voila. Nooks and crannys were a bit of a peeve, but not horrible.

qcbtbx

smu.:Rf
Car(s)
.:R32
Not if the surface was prepped correctly and enough coats of Plasti Dip was applied. Given, its not as easy as peeling only PlastiDip.

I painted my Touareg wheels with PlastiDip then another color of spray paint over it. What i did to remove the paint was heat the wheel painted surface up a bit with a heat gun, and voila. Nooks and crannys were a bit of a peeve, but not horrible.

How many coats of dip? how many coats of paint?

sent from my thunderbolt

Sicktred08fsi

Banned
Car(s)
K04`d B6
5 coats Pdip, 2 coats paint, 1 coat clear. To prep wheels, i used this process:

1. Wash and dry wheels
2. Goo gone wheels
3. Mr. Clean dry erase bar
4. Wash and dry again
5. Light coat wax

qcbtbx

smu.:Rf
Car(s)
.:R32
5 coats Pdip, 2 coats paint, 1 coat clear. To prep wheels, i used this process:

1. Wash and dry wheels
2. Goo gone wheels
3. Mr. Clean dry erase bar
4. Wash and dry again
5. Light coat wax

thanks for outlining your process! i am debating on whether to do this or not. how many labor hours you put in? once you got the surface heated, you peeled the plastidip with the paint, right?

Sicktred08fsi

Banned
Car(s)
K04`d B6
To be honest, it took me afull day to paint from start to finish, withdrying time in between. I took my time. They lasted all last winter and the spring and made it through power washing with no problem. My window trim on my Passat is Plasti Dipped black, and has beeen for almost a year, and looks great.

Sicktred08fsi

Banned
Car(s)
K04`d B6
With glossifier, might be close. Idk tbh....

smartHatchMK5

shhhh i'm hunting wabbits
Im sorry? :iono:

What happened, I am sure I can help.

well first off i ordered just regular white plasti dip from dipyourcar about 4 months ago.. email dipyourcar.. 2 months ago still nothing... at this point i just want my money back.. :thumbdown: