GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BlaineWasHere's FR-S Build Thread!

utekineir

Banned
I like my balls where they are, thank you.[/COLOR]

Me, I'm comfortable in my bliss ignorance.

Think of it as weight reduction, i hear its big in miata circles.

In the same boat on ignorance, play budget and free time have been canceled until further notice, haven't even been on bike since early July.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
If you don't think the car has enough power it's because you're not a good enough driver to "use" the car around corners. I mean that too.

Here is the closing to a leaked Clarkson article (some think it may actaully be Top Gear script).

"It’s strange. We thought purpose-designed coupés had gone. We thought wayward handling had gone. And we sure as hell thought genuinely good value had gone. But all three things are now back in one astonishing car. Perhaps the most interesting car to be launched since the original Mazda MX-5. I’m giving it five stars only because it’s not possible to hand out more."

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
It's a sweet car. I have the pleasure of seeing one every day on my way to work. I can't see what the STI version has in store.

BurntGauge

AWD > FWD
Similar things about underpowered were said about the 240SX but it was underpowered at 155hp. If we had just got the Silvia, with 200hp or even the latter one with 250hp, and RWD, lightweight (2600-2800 lbs), it would have never died. Now it would be the shiznit.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
If you don't think the car has enough power it's because you're not a good enough driver to "use" the car around corners. I mean that too.

Here is the closing to a leaked Clarkson article (some think it may actaully be Top Gear script).

"It’s strange. We thought purpose-designed coupés had gone. We thought wayward handling had gone. And we sure as hell thought genuinely good value had gone. But all three things are now back in one astonishing car. Perhaps the most interesting car to be launched since the original Mazda MX-5. I’m giving it five stars only because it’s not possible to hand out more."

Its a great car for you with all of your auto-x's. It would be a crappy car for me because all I do is drive straight.

I still like it though

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Ha! I will tell my buddy that.

Actually, he isn't a bad driver. He's done quite well at hill climbs in his TDI Jetta. He's gotten to the point where the group he runs with wants him to get something slower or install a cage. He recently picked up a 335xi.. then sold it because he didn't think it handled well enough.

I do have to say, 150 ftlbs sounds a little unimpressive. Also surprising it isn't rated for better mileage. It is right on par with the GTI, yet a solid 300 lbs lighter and 50 ftlbs shy compared to the GTI.

Hard top Miata indeed.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
It's quite a bit lighter than GTI.

My DSG GTI in STX trim was 3065lbs
FR-S in STX trim is 2625. The Curb on the FR-S is 2758 but most cars are just under 2700 WITH full tank of fuel.
Some guy on the FR-S boards says he got his BRZ under 2600 and still legal for STX but I don't see how and I think he's full of shit!

I'm getting 32MPG on the highway with cruise set at 75. This is WAY better than I ever did in the GTI.

He is right saying it's underpowered. It is. But I also ran within a second of BSP prepped Vette's with half the power and a lot less prep. Point is it's WAY WAY easier to add power later than add a good chassis.

utekineir

Banned
Was looking on ft86club (is that the one?) the other day looks like a slew of tuners making turbo kits and a handful doing supercharger kits. Ridiculous that they're up to 400 hp range, engines have got to start popping soon.

What's a c5 vette go for nowadays, can't be much right?

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
Was looking on ft86club (is that the one?) the other day looks like a slew of tuners making turbo kits and a handful doing supercharger kits. Ridiculous that they're up to 400 hp range, engines have got to start popping soon.

What's a c5 vette go for nowadays, can't be much right?

If you look closer you'll see the people building kits targeted at the DD customer with reliability are more in the 250-275 WHP range.

You can get a good fixed roof C5 for $16-17K and C5 Z06 for $20.

TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI
I'd like to go toe to toe with you in my 2002 GMC Sonoma 4X4 (in 2WD of course).

It would be a driver's race

Method82

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
So hot. But it's soon to be the me-too car. their are already a handful of the BRZ and FRS here in Raleigh.

Hopefully Nissan come back with some type of 240 successor.