GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Better(?) Hatch Pop DIY

Darkside

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V
I read the threads about how you make your hatch pop by itself and thought I'd share how I did it.

I found that most of the time, the springs either don't push your hatch up far enough or they tend to distort the metal of the hatch over time. My way works fine, doesn't put your hatch at risk and uses only OEM parts. The only disadvantage is that it's more expensive.

Pics in this post aren't mine (I did the install in a dark garage which makes for really bad pics) - they are courtesy of StraightShooter.

Parts

First you need to get some OEM parts from your local dealer:

1. 2 x 6Y0 827 550 C (Skoda Fabia gas springs) ~40 $
  2. 2 x 1K8 827 761 C (Scirocco bumpers) ~4 $ (can be ordered at VW dealership)
  3. 2 x 1J6 827 439 A (Seat Leon ball pins) ~1.20 $ (can be ordered at VW dealership)

I'm not sure about the $ prices. I paid € 64,- for all of it, that would be like $ 90,-

You can order the Skoda gas springs on ecs-tuning starting January 1st 2010 - thanks to patrick_irwin.

Coding

Geht someone with a Vag-Com and make the following adjustment:

46 - Central Convenience
Byte 2, Bit 3 needs to be checked.

Note that the newest VCDS might not work. Someone at Ross-Tech had the checkbox for bit 3 removed because they didn't think it was used. Get a 704.1 VagCom.

Once the adjustment is done, you can hit the hatch button on the key fob and the hatch should pop. Now, without the new parts, the hatch doesn't get past the release of the lock. This is about to change...

Removing the old parts

First, you're going to remove all the old parts. It's helpful if you have a friend over to hold the hatch for you.

Start with the gas springs. Use a flat-head screwdriver to pry the small metal ring away that holds the gas spring in place. You should be able to pull out the gas spring easily.

Then move on to the ball pins. Get a 13mm (.512 inches) spanner and remove both ball pins. No pics of how to remove them since it's easy enough.

Now remove the bumpers. Get a 24mm spanner and turn the bumper 45° outwards - it should fall out.

Installing the new parts

Start with the ball pins. With your 13mm spanner, screw the ball pins back in. [If you have a touch-up stick in the color of your car, you can paint part of the ball pins (they usually come unpainted).] Apply some grease to the ball pins. Again no pictures. It's easy enough.

Now, install the gas springs. Pry the metal ring away with a flat head screwdriver, install the gas spring and secure it with the metal ring.

Install the Scirocco bumpers. Place them into the hole and secure them with your 24 spanner by turning them 45° clockwise.

Once the Scirocco bumpers are installed, do NOT close your hatch! You WILL damage it!

The Scirocco bumpers are too long and the spring inside is locked. We need to change that before you can close the hatch of your car.

First, you need to release the lock on the spring of the Scirocco bumper. Simply grab the rubber end and turn it 45° counterclockwise until the spring is released:

Now you need to unlock the detent of the Scirocco bumper. Get a 2.5 Inbus (Europe) or a #6 hex key (US) and unlock the detent like this:

Push the bumper in to the last stop and secure the locking mechanism again. Make sure that both bumpers are really pushed in to the last possible stop!

You're done!

You can close your hatch again. If you push the hatch button on the key fob, your hatch should open all the way.

Here's a video of how it looks (and don't tell me my car is dirty - I know. It's got snow and mud and whatnot outside...):

Grab a cold one and: :drinking:

Last edited:

mk5gtiguy

Pwaffle Champion
nice write up but i prefer going to autozone and buying what i need for a few bucks then spending god knows what at the dealer... Its just a hatch pop i dont think i need to go all out on top shelf items lol..

Darkside

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V
True.

But personally, I only had problems with the cheap springs so I decided to shell out the 90 $ to do it right.

Besides, I sold the stock stuff on eBay for $45 :happyanim:

mk5gtiguy

Pwaffle Champion
True.

But personally, I only had problems with the cheap springs so I decided to shell out the 90 $ to do it right.

Besides, I sold the stock stuff on eBay for $45 :happyanim:

Ahh nice! cant beat that

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
Well done.

I tried the sheap spring way and bent my door frame where the strut pins are, removed that idea.

Wondering if all you need are the Scirroco bumpers??

Bazzle

Darkside

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V
nice

do you got a video of it when it pops open?

Going to make one tomorrow.

Well done.

I tried the sheap spring way and bent my door frame where the strut pins are, removed that idea.

Wondering if all you need are the Scirroco bumpers??

Bazzle

Definitely not. You NEED the skoda dampeners. I tried it without the ball pins (didn't want to paint them) but I'm going to put them back in. If it's too cold outside, the bumpers and gas springs sometimes aren't enough to fully pop the hatch.

I also tried it with just the Scirroco bumpers... it lifts the hatch beyond the release of the lock but not far enough to actually open it. Note that I haven't deadened my hatch. There is no extra weight in it.

So no, you definitely need at least the skoda dampeners and the scirroco bumpers. And if you want to do it right, you need all three parts.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
interested in the video as well, I've always been scared to do it the cheap way and bend something that should not bend!

Darkside

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V
not very useful for most of members as they dont have seat/skoda parts in US :smile:
but x2 on video, i wanna see the result

I bet there's a company that can get them for you. If not, just ask someone you know in Europe to buy the parts for you.

If some people are interested I'd be willing to get the parts and mail them.

interested in the video as well, I've always been scared to do it the cheap way and bend something that should not bend!

Edited first post and added the video.

BaranE

Ready to race!
I just checked with my dealer. Seat part is also a VW part so it can be ordered by the VW dealers. So 2 parts from the VW and 1 part from the Skoda dealer. Also part number 1J6 827 439 has been superseded by 1J6 827 439 A.