GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best PCV fix / catchcan solution?

Timvgti

Ready to race!
Guys,

I've read sóóó many forums/topics about the 'carbon build up/ aerated oil and failing stock pcv's.
Looking for the best option to solve these problems, but confused, because there are so many brands and solutions.

Can you guys help me out?

What to choose? -->
- A complete closed catch can system, like the forge model (with charcoal canister space, because I have a EU version mk5)?
- A complete open catch can system, like BSH race models?
- A PCV Fix like the Eurojet PCV Fix?
- A DIY PCV Bypass system that vents to air, like http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1468694&page=1

What's best for performance and to 'stop'/'slow down' carbon build up?

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
I would say get the BSH fix and call it a day, i have the BSH catch can (street version i think), and thing dont hold much if anything in my car, i emptied a couple of times and only get just a few drops of oil, i replaced my blown PCV with this because i got it used for cheap, i cant say it actually do much for me.

xatnys360

Ready to race!
All of the varied methods will achieve roughly the same result. We really can't give you any substantive advice until you decide on what kind of system you want.

- If emissions are a big deal in your area and you want to stay 100% legal, I think the Forge can w/ charcoal canister is your only option.
- The VTA cans are all going to perform essentially the same thing. Your engine bay will get dirty, your car look like it's smoking from escaping vapor, and Al Gore will hate you. You probably shouldn't do this one.
- All of the PCV "fix" systems accomplish the same thing, so buy whatever you want. I would drop $100 on the BSH if I were set on this route.
- The slashcut method is probably the best all-around solution if you can make it work. I believe you cannot have a catalytic converter downstream from this solution, so you'll need to be running a test pipe. Modifications will be permanent and it won't look stock. Al Gore will still hate you. I believe this will require one of the PCV "fix" systems to properly implement.

The majority of the buildup on valves seems to come from other sources, so realize that you are investing money in an arena of diminishing returns. Your valves will still get dirty as hell and eventually require cleaning.

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
BSH and call it a day.

X2 on the bsh ... U won't be able to prevent carbon build up ... There's a guy here in the forums that cleaned his intake valves at 40k miles then got the vta cc and wm ... Then he cleaned them again at 80k, and they looked the same ...

Timvgti

Ready to race!
X2 on the bsh ... U won't be able to prevent carbon build up ... There's a guy here in the forums that cleaned his intake valves at 40k miles then got the vta cc and wm ... Then he cleaned them again at 80k, and they looked the same ...

Found the article:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148048

So carbon buildup will stay...
So best to leave it as it is? Or place an updated oem VW pcv? Or do a bsh/eurojet pcv fix?(best for boost?)

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
The OEM PCV is prone to fail even on a stock car, i´ll say you will be fine with the BSH fix.

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Found the article:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148048

So carbon buildup will stay...
So best to leave it as it is? Or place an updated oem VW pcv? Or do a bsh/eurojet pcv fix?(best for boost?)
I have a cc cuz i don't want oil to get to my intercooler hose ... But I know that every 40k miles I'm gonna get my valves cleaned ...

If ur just gonna get it clean, the bsh fix should be good enough ...
Are there also extra other benefits with the BSH PCV Fix, compared to a (updated) OEM PCV?
it looks better and it won't fail ...