GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery lead switch problem.. really need help

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
DBP 4 door GTI
so i tried my hand at installing a sound system and it didnt exactly work out, so i decided to take the power wire off of the batter until i could fix it. while unscrewing the positive wire from the lead, the bolt that holds the nut on the battery stripped the square nut.
my problem is that the positive terminal is made to be angled up, not to rise up, bend 90 degrees and then connect. I.E. cable isnt long enough for the connectors i bought

how to i successfully switch the connectors?
thank you in advanced

why not just get a new nut and bolt and use the original connector? thats what i did when i had a similar problem

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
DBP 4 door GTI
why not just get a new nut and bolt and use the original connector? thats what i did when i had a similar problem

the square on the back of the bolt stripped the piece of metal it rests against, and i just tried wedging some metal "shims" to stop it from spinning but it didnt help

im stuck.. guess ill skip school and walk to the vw dealer ship tomorrow -_-

i know. im saying get rid of the square nut and original bolt and get a whole new nut and bolt. grab an open faced wrench and a socket wrench(or second open face) and tighten.

I can only assume the reason it's stripped in the first place is because the threads near the end of the original bolt are really tough to screw stuff back in so it took more force than the metal could hold to put back. I've been there and what i suggested is how i fixed.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Or just get a new terminal and wire, they're cheap

j_audio

Audial Delta
Car(s)
2008 Jetta Wolfsburg
Best option is a new battery terminal that can accept the full complement of cables. That ensures a secure and low resistance connection. That doesn't mean I wouldn't simply swap the nut and bolt if I were in a hurry.