GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery drain

Eddie-NL

Passed Driver's Ed
If the RNS was removed it can hardly be at fault now. I would sort your issue out first before you think about refitting the RNS

Check the obvious items first

Is your alternator charging properly

I would buy a multimeter first as vag-com won't help you find the drain

vaelenn

I just installed an aftermarket unit on my Jetta 2007 MK5. Its got bluetooth, GPS, DVD, iPod, USB, MIcroSD and A/V Inputs. It's a very fine unit and sounds great. At first I got the infamous battery drain issue and was told that a canbus gateway upgrade was the way to fix the problem. After looking at the wiring schematics for the unit however I noticed that the harness have two 12V power leads, one for always on feed (yellow cable) and one for switched feed (red cable). So I ran an additional cable and installed a fuse tap on an available switched slot on my fuse box. I then cut the red cable on the harness (the one that came with my unit, NOT the factory one). That lead is marked ACC+ in my case, but test before cutting though. Finally after connecting the red wire to the new line, the problem was fixed. No need to change my canbus gateway. Everything works fine, no messages on my screen, wheel controls work fine and no battery drain issue.

VDUB-STEVE

Vdub-steve
Car(s)
R32 REPLICA
I just installed an aftermarket unit on my Jetta 2007 MK5. Its got bluetooth, GPS, DVD, iPod, USB, MIcroSD and A/V Inputs. It's a very fine unit and sounds great. At first I got the infamous battery drain issue and was told that a canbus gateway upgrade was the way to fix the problem. After looking at the wiring schematics for the unit however I noticed that the harness have two 12V power leads, one for always on feed (yellow cable) and one for switched feed (red cable). So I ran an additional cable and installed a fuse tap on an available switched slot on my fuse box. I then cut the red cable on the harness (the one that came with my unit, NOT the factory one). That lead is marked ACC+ in my case, but test before cutting though. Finally after connecting the red wire to the new line, the problem was fixed. No need to change my canbus gateway. Everything works fine, no messages on my screen, wheel controls work fine and no battery drain issue.

I pretty much did the exact same thing on my golf works wonders and cost me hardly anything :happyanim:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Before I realized this was an old thread, I was going to say the drain is at one of the modules. I agree, aftermarket radios are the way to go but only as good as the installer.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
After looking at the wiring schematics for the unit however I noticed that the harness have two 12V power leads, one for always on feed (yellow cable) and one for switched feed (red cable). So I ran an additional cable and installed a fuse tap on an available switched slot on my fuse box. I then cut the red cable on the harness (the one that came with my unit, NOT the factory one). That lead is marked ACC+ in my case, but test before cutting though. Finally after connecting the red wire to the new line, the problem was fixed.
So the new unit was wired up incorrectly. The red wire was supposed to be connected to a switched + feed but clearly wasn't. All you did was ensure it was actually connected to a switched + feed.