GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery connections

TonySuffolk

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 Diesel
In need of help, I am trying to connect a battery charger to my Golf Mk7, Google says 'do not attach' the negative clip to the battery but to a earth lug beside the negative terminal. I have searched online and cannot find a picture of this lug as I cannot see it near the battery.
I am sure when have used a battery charger before the clips went on the battery terminal, it was probably on a car some 50 years ago though.
Can anyone tell me where I can find what this lug looks like?
The battery was new last year but as I don't use the car much it comes up with 'drive car to charge battery'. This was happening last year, took it to a main dealer to ask them to test the battery and they said the test was inconclusive so I bought a new battery, I am now thinking nothing like an old fool, as the battery was probably ok, the car is 7 years old.
Thanks
Tony

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It's just aft of the battery on the firewall. Follow the ground cable backwards.

You do NOT want to connect to the battery terminal, as the battery control/charging module is there.

Picture stolen from a google image search...
1709054804231.png

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It's just aft of the battery on the firewall. Follow the ground cable backwards.

You do NOT want to connect to the battery terminal, as the battery control/charging module is there.

Picture stolen from a google image search...
View attachment 299976
Yup, my car did not come with them, but the negative terminal cover sticker actually shows this as well.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
In need of help, I am trying to connect a battery charger to my Golf Mk7, Google says 'do not attach' the negative clip to the battery but to a earth lug beside the negative terminal. I have searched online and cannot find a picture of this lug as I cannot see it near the battery.
I am sure when have used a battery charger before the clips went on the battery terminal, it was probably on a car some 50 years ago though.
Can anyone tell me where I can find what this lug looks like?
The battery was new last year but as I don't use the car much it comes up with 'drive car to charge battery'. This was happening last year, took it to a main dealer to ask them to test the battery and they said the test was inconclusive so I bought a new battery, I am now thinking nothing like an old fool, as the battery was probably ok, the car is 7 years old.
Thanks
Tony

All info on batteries, types, stop/start, charging, connecting, sizes & coding in my big & old post here...Everything in the first post...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...bigger-capacity-battery-to-a-mk7-golf.320084/

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
All info on batteries, types, stop/start, charging, connecting, sizes & coding in my big & old post here...Everything in the first post...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...bigger-capacity-battery-to-a-mk7-golf.320084/
Might be a dumb question but related and I didn't see it in that post. Is using the post only relevant for cars with the Bluemotion/auto stop-start thing? I haven't looked in a while at mine (2019 S manual) but I've had it on a smart charger for a while, and now I'm wondering if I've damaged something by doing so.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Might be a dumb question but related and I didn't see it in that post. Is using the post only relevant for cars with the Bluemotion/auto stop-start thing? I haven't looked in a while at mine (2019 S manual) but I've had it on a smart charger for a while, and now I'm wondering if I've damaged something by doing so.

If you don't have this on the negative terminal then you don't have the battery module and will not have damaged anything...

1709224086437.png

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
If you don't have this on the negative terminal then you don't have the battery module and will not have damaged anything...

View attachment 300070
Thank you for the quick and easy answer! I'll verify once I'm home but I don't recall ever seeing one.

Cars are getting smarter than me :(

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thank you for the quick and easy answer! I'll verify once I'm home but I don't recall ever seeing one.

Cars are getting smarter than me :(
I don't have the battery module (and thus that extra thing on the negative terminal), but I still have the connection on the firewall for negative and use that with my Noco Genius 1. Probably doesn't matter haha.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I don't have the battery module (and thus that extra thing on the negative terminal), but I still have the connection on the firewall for negative and use that with my Noco Genius 1. Probably doesn't matter haha.
That's actually exactly what I'm using as well, I've been thinking of getting some of those pigtails that you can bolt to the terminals for quick connection to it and if I do that then I very well may just utilize the firewall stud.

GTIscream

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
That's actually exactly what I'm using as well, I've been thinking of getting some of those pigtails that you can bolt to the terminals for quick connection to it and if I do that then I very well may just utilize the firewall stud.

You saw the post of the guy who bought the Ctek plug and put it into his cowel? Charge without having to pop the hood? Looked pretty cool assuming it doesn't leak.

Without the module, my understanding is that putting the negative jumper on the chasis has always been to prevent sparks right over the battery to help prevent those rare battery explosions.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
You saw the post of the guy who bought the Ctek plug and put it into his cowel? Charge without having to pop the hood? Looked pretty cool assuming it doesn't leak.

Without the module, my understanding is that putting the negative jumper on the chasis has always been to prevent sparks right over the battery to help prevent those rare battery explosions.
I had not seen that, but that's an interesting idea that I'll have to look into. My initial idea though was just bolting it to the battery terminals, the Noco clamps have a little ring terminal in there that's usable as well.

GTIscream

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
I had not seen that, but that's an interesting idea that I'll have to look into. My initial idea though was just bolting it to the battery terminals, the Noco clamps have a little ring terminal in there that's usable as well.
Yeah, without the battery module i would put the rings directly on the battery as well probably.