GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad customer service

callmec

Passed Driver's Ed
A little over three weeks ago after hanging out with my VW friends, something unfortunate happened to my beloved MK6. The road leading home is next to a stadium and with my luck a show just finished and traffic was bumper to bumper...a lady flagged me and when I lowered my windows, she said that smoke was coming out of my car.

I managed to pull in front of the Mercedes Benz dealer. When I opened the hood to saw a little flame right below the headlights. I could have easily extinguished it with my finger but I couldn't reach and panicked. I asked the cars in traffic for a bottle of water and poured that on it and it got bigger. People brought more water and pored on it and it kept getting bigger. That's when I realized it was an electrical fire.

They called 911 but because of the traffic, the fire truck couldn't get there in time. We gave up hope and I had people move from the car cus I thought I thought its gonna eventually blow up. When all hope seemed lost a kid run across the street with a fire extinguisher. We extinguished the fire. The young boy's older sister took pics of the car when it was on flames, and so I had her forward them to me. I took pics myself after the fire everyone left and the fire dept. finished their report.

I called a tow truck and he towed my car(85 dollars) to Kuhn VW where I originally purchased my car April of 2011. They said that VWoA had to come out and look at the vehicle to see if the damage is covered under warranty. I waited a day and heard nothing and heard nothing. They finally called me 4 days later and said that VWoA evaluated the damage and said that the after market Twintake was the cause of the fire.

I explained to the service manager that the fire came directly from the headlight and you can see that in the pics. My intake had nothing to do with it. If anything, my intake suppressed the fire because if it was the stock plastic intake, the car would have burned much faster. He told me that it was out of his hands and that he couldn't do anything about it. Prior to this whole incident, i've been having issues with the car since day one. It was leaking what from the driver's side window and they fixed that. It squealed when I made a turn and Kuhn told me I was over steering, Reeves VW was able to fix that. It would hesitate to accelerate and has loss of power. They couldn't fix that or find the solution to that issue. I was so frustrated and eventually called VWoA and explained the problems I was having with the car and they said to take the car in again. I work full time and go to school as well.

Time is something I don't have. Before I was able to take the car in is when all this happened. A series of events lead to this fire and yet VWoA is blaming the one thing that I added to my engine bay. The lights are stock never changed them and if you look at the lights everything is stock. I'm stock without a car now for over a week now and counting. I have a motorcycle and that's how I get around but it's been raining a lot lately and riding in the rain is horrible. I show up to class soaked. My text books which I spent so much money on are of no use anymore. My car is sitting at the dealer and i get calls from them asking what I want to do with the car. I'm very upset and disgusted, I bought a new car for the piece of mind and now I'm stuck without a ride, I feel robbed. 28,000 plus for a car and you'd think peace of mind and quality service would be readily available. I putting this out for all VW enthusiast to see. This, is poor customer service at it's best.

(links to the car on flames)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4285362931190&set=o.77071824778&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4285345890764&set=o.77071824778&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4285351890914&set=o.77071824778&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4285356131020&set=o.77071824778&type=1&theater

Eat_My_Shorts

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK6 GTI
FB links don't work, call insurance company. If not under warranty insurance will cover, they might even fight with VWoA to get them to pay for it.....ask them to give in writing how the intake caused the fire.

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
Lawyer up, hit the gym, etc.

crew219

Banned
I don't think it's possible to rule out the possibility that the metal scoop on the twintake might have been rubbing on some wiring in that area.

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
Yeah well the intake was secured in place, no wires around. I hope this shit gets sorted out. You can clearly see that it was caused by the headlamp. I hate when people try to feed others bullshit

callmec

Passed Driver's Ed
There aren't any electrical wires near the scoop. If you have a VW MKVI you'll know this for a fact. The twintake sits very snug and bolted down. There isn't any room for it to budge. VWoA said the intake backfired. And let say there was such a thing as an intake backfiring, why isn't the intake burnt or better yet, why would it start at the headlight?

PatrickBateman

Passed Driver's Ed
I know u said the service manager knows about it, but also make sure ur sales peron and sales manager are aware. They are the ones that tend to keep the service/body shop in line with customer service issues. It helped me anyways, im in the middle of a similar issue. Nothing may change but cant hurt. Good luck, dont give up.