GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

autotech catback exhaust mounting question

lifeis11

Broke as a Joke
to those of you who have the autotech catback:

i just got mine installed, and because it uses only one muffler and doesnt use the bracket that is used on the far right (when viewed from the back) that held the second muffler in place on the stock exhaust, the tips come out a litte crooked. the right one is slightly higher than the left and they have more room in the outlet in the bumper on the left side than on the right. my install shop actually pointed it out. he said the pipes were slightly fitted inproperly, and that was the reason for the left side of the outlet having more of a gap than the right, and that he felt that the exhaust needed to be tied to the frame an additional time and that was why one tip was ever so slightly higher than the other. the tips not being paralell to the ground is pretty subtle, but i would say in terms of how they exit the car, to the left of the tips has almost twice as much room as the right. i actually looked at the pics on autotechs website, and i feel like it mirrors my own install, only mine might be just ever so slightly even more off center. anyone else having similar issues with this?

jabtsi

Ready to race!
Now one? Bump

The way my shop did it was to make sure the tips were centered in the bumper exit and have someone hold them in the position you want them in and have another person torque everything down. I hope that helps you out.

lifeis11

Broke as a Joke
The way my shop did it was to make sure the tips were centered in the bumper exit and have someone hold them in the position you want them in and have another person torque everything down. I hope that helps you out.

mmm, not exactly, because what my shop is saying is that its impossible to have them exactly centered AND properly secured. . .

jerm5

69=dinner for 2

this is the correct way to center the exhaust

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5

did you just get the autotech exhaust? how about the cup kit man?

lifeis11

Broke as a Joke
i guess what the guy was saying is that without the mount for the extra muffler, he tied it to the subframe? i guess ill have to post some pics. honestly, i was looking at the autotech website and theirs dont look terribly centered either. . .

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5