GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are stock brakes supposed to be TERRIBLE?

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
OK, are the stock GTI brakes supposed to be absolutely terrible? I'm talking just for spirited driving on the street and not track use. I've read some posts around here with guys saying the brakes aren't that bad...one guy saying he ran Tail of the Dragon with STIs and S2000s and his GTI was the only one without brake fade.

Why do I ask? I think there's something wrong with my brakes and the dealer won't listen to me.

1. Part of the time, on the interstate, if I'm leaving work (haven't been driving it in a few hours), I can hit the brakes maybe 15-20% and will hear a very audible "hum" noise from the brakes. It goes away after a few applications, but it definitely doesn't sound normal.

2. Just a little bit of spirited driving will makes the brakes overheat. I've noticed them getting hot a few times around town. Well, a few weeks ago I hit some curvy mountain roads, drove fast and hard but only used the brakes to maybe 30% of what they should be able to do (limited us to scrub some speed, then coasting into corners). After 3.5 miles, they were hot enough / faded enough that when I eased up to a stop sign, I rolled about 15 feet farther than they should have. In other words, they were starting to give out. After 3.5 miles!!!

I bought the car 2.5 months ago, certified used. The pads looked brand new then. I took it to the dealer last week, and he came up with a million reasons why VW brakes are different than other cars, and if I am riding the brakes they'll overheat (after the second or third time that he said that I interrupted him to tell him "I DO NOT RIDE THE BRAKES, END OF STORY."). He kept on about how the brakes just aren't meant for spirited driving, about how he tracked his R32 and replacing the pads are a must.

First question: Am I crazy? Am I expecting too much out of stock brakes? I had a Subaru Forester and could run the Tail of the Dragon and never have any brake fade. With my GTI, I'M SCARED TO TAKE IT TO TAIL OF THE DRAGON! (For those who don't know, it's 318 turns in 11 miles, or so they say). This is ridiculous. In fact, the only other car I've had brakes this bad on was a Chevy Corsica that had the cheapest, bottom of the barrel brakes pads you could buy (Wearever Silver). I've never had an OEM pad or even somewhat cheap aftermarket pad this bad.

Second question: is there a good test so I can prove there's a problem? The regional rep will be out this week to look at my peeling clearcoat, I want to address this with him too. Should I go do hard stops (70-20) and see how many I can get, and get one of you guys to compare?

I told the guy several times that this is unacceptable. If they don't repair it, I know I'm going to have to tear into a car I just bought and try to figure out what's wrong with it, which I shouldn't have to do for a car with a certified warranty. Exactly what I told him. He just wanted to write me off as driving too hard, but I'm barely using the brakes to potential. I used to autocross my Forester, I know how to abuse brakes (which it never complained once) but I am babying these brakes and they overheat.

P.S. I noticed after the first two weeks (without even driving it hard) that the calipers are fading to pink. I would guess from a pre-existing overheating issue, eh?

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
P.S.

Third question, any idea what could be the problem? Like I said, the pads looked new. Have the rotors been ruined by the previous driver? I asked the guy if they could just inspect them, make sure the slides weren't seized, make sure the bushings hadn't failed, pistons operated freely, etc. They're just not listening to me.

If I do have to take this on myself, inspection of the calipers/pistons/slides/bushings would be first on my list, and not finding anything wrong I'd have to resort to replacing all the rotors/pads.

A_Bowers

I have had zero fade on mine, however when I do upgrade, Grambles route.

Pads, Tyrol bushings and ill be using stop tech pads. Stoptech stage one is what I ran on my Acura when I went on the dragon, and had ZERO fade. Buddy of mine had OEM brakes on his RSX. Faded badly.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I've read Grambles' thread and that's likely my future route. I don't want bigger brakes as I don't plan to track the GTI. Right now though, I just want decent brakes on the road and expect the GTI should perform adequately. I mean, I just read Automobile Magazine's review of the GTI vs MS3 vs Focus ST and can't help but think, if the GTI they had were to fade like mine they would have immediately called VW to fix the thing under warranty....and VW would have obliged without telling them to drive slower!

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Stock brakes fade almost instantly for me. Race pads work great and last a whole track session. I blame the pads.

Did the stock pads do OK on the street though? I'm not talking about track braking techniques, I'm just talking about slowing down a little before turns on a curvy road. Seriously, my 1985 Chevy Cavalier, which lasted me through high school and college in the early 90's had better brakes. Something's got to be wrong.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

confuc1ous

Go Kart Champion
My GTi has been to deals gap with stock brakes, did just fine. I think its smart to get better brakes as time goes on and explore your options like with what others have experienced.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
I did a track day on stock every thing when I first bought the car and I could make it 3 or 4 laps before it started to fade badly, backed off for two laps to cool down and right back at it. If you do swap pads though, I love my stop tech's :)

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Did the stock pads do OK on the street though? I'm not talking about track braking techniques, I'm just talking about slowing down a little before turns on a curvy road. Seriously, my 1985 Chevy Cavalier, which lasted me through high school and college in the early 90's had better brakes. Something's got to be wrong.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

No, they fade quickly even when just goofing around on back roads. They're OK for the street in that they will stop the car quickly in an emergency but that's about it.

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
If you are looking for a good, basic upgrade: pads, brake fluid and stainless steel brake lines (I think I wrote something like this on a previous thread). You will definitely see a difference in brake quality overall. :thumbsup:

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
i have smaller brakes on my TDI and i think they are terrible. Once they go i am definitely getting larger rotors. I do not know why, but for some reason the back brakes fade more quickly than the fronts. VW is a little backwards on this one.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
yea, stock pads are definitely not the best....my old corolla with porterfield pads felt way better than the stock brake pads on the gti

Tecni

Ready to race!
Stock brakes are MORE than adequate for the Tail of the Dragon. I ran the hell out of the car out there and never ever experienced the sign of brake fade. I can't say the same for the IS350, and Integra that were with me. Their brakes were completely overwhelmed and had to stop a few times to regain brake pedal feel.