GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR tuned GTI needs new sparks

carbuyer

Ready to race!
I personally don't like copper, because the gap opens up too fast. On my Mazda they were shot at 30,000 miles. Gap opened up to .045 from .028, and I had carbon tracking.

its not really that hard to change the plugs on our motors so i dont mind changing them at <30k mi, especially since a set of 4 is cheaper than one stock plug at the dealer

Chris@RT

Banned
everything ive read on the matter points to NGK's 7 heat range plugs being one step colder than stock.
in other words, stock plugs would be an NGK 6...

Because everything you have read on the matter is comparing the 7 heat range plugs as being one colder in a 1.8t application. Everyone just assumed that it was one heat range colder for the 2.0t but it is in fact the same heat range. Using the factory bosch plug part number and assuming the 6 is the same as a 6 for NGK would also lead people down this incorrect path. EVERY NGK document lists the PFR7S8EG as the stock replacement plug for every VW/audi turbo direct injection engine I have come across.

The PFR7S8EG is a 7 heat range plug making the BKR7E the copper but same heat range as stock.

8 is one step colder in these applications.

carbuyer

Ready to race!

from champion spark plugs...

F6KPP332S VK20Y - VK20Y

http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/cross_reference/1010_1.html

from denso's site...

F6KPP332S is the stock plug for our motors, as in this is what was put in our motors from the factory.

according to the champion labs cross reference chart, a bosch 6 (what the stock plugs are) is equivalent to an NGK 6...

just to double check, denso lists their vk20y as the right plug to replace the stock bosch plugs. using that info, the champion chart says that a Denso "20" is equivalent to both the NGK and Bosch "6" plugs...

so straight from 2 plug manufacturers, it would seem that 6 is infact the correct NGK heat range, and 7 is a step colder as i was mentioning before.

now according to ngk's plug finder, the plug you quoted is a possible replacement so i guess both are acceptable

carbuyer

Ready to race!
also, according to denso's japanese site...

the bkr6e from NGK = VK20 from denso
and the F6KPP332S = VK20 from denso.

If a = c, and b = c, then from that line of logic, a = b...

Chris@RT

Banned
Your charts mean nothing nor do any cross references as they are just an approximation.

NGK says the PFR7S8EG is the stock replacement plug Based on that the BKR7E woud be the same heat range plug in the NGK line.

You CANNOT compare heat range numbers between manufactures. All the information you provided is comments on 2 companies commenting on someone elses product.

Unitronic says that APR 2.0t software is the same as GIAC 3.2 Vr6 software.. That is what your chart shows.

7 heat range NGK plugs are the stock heat range right from NGK, that is the only source you can trust regarding NGK products.

carbuyer

Ready to race!
Your charts mean nothing nor do any cross references as they are just an approximation.

NGK says the PFR7S8EG is the stock replacement plug Based on that the BKR7E woud be the same heat range plug in the NGK line.

You CANNOT compare heat range numbers between manufactures. All the information you provided is comments on 2 companies commenting on someone elses product.

Unitronic says that APR 2.0t software is the same as GIAC 3.2 Vr6 software.. That is what your chart shows.

7 heat range NGK plugs are the stock heat range right from NGK, that is the only source you can trust regarding NGK products.

yes, you can compare heat ranges between manufacturers, champion did it, denso did it, you did it (when you said bosch X = NGK X)

what does unitronic have to do with anything? they arent spark plug manufacturers, so and outside example of a company messing up a compatibility/cross reference chart or w.e. they made is not a valid comparison.

there is no intrinsic property that makes one spark plug not compatible with another, if the temperatures (however they measure them) to get the heat range are the same, then the heat ranges are compatible.

according to Denso and Champion labs, the stock plugs in our motors are equivalent to a certain product that they respectively make, which in turn are equivalent to a product that NGK makes. period.

Chris@RT

Banned
also, according to denso's japanese site...

the bkr6e from NGK = VK20 from denso
and the F6KPP332S = VK20 from denso.

If a = c, and b = c, then from that line of logic, a = b...

According to the denso site the IK20 is also the replacement for the 1.8t so what is your point because we know:

The original plug for say a 2003 1.8t is PFR6Q (NGK)

We know the BKR7E is one step colder than that stock plug

NGK says the stock replacement from them is the PFR7S8EG

So sticking with ONE BRAND since cross referencing is only meant to give you a rough idea the BKR7E would NOT be one step colder than a stock 2.0t plug.

Chris@RT

Banned
yes, you can compare heat ranges between manufacturers, champion did it, denso did it, you did it (when you said bosch X = NGK X)

according to Denso and Champion labs, the stock plugs in our motors are equivalent to a certain product that they respectively make, which in turn are equivalent to a product that NGK makes. period.

Cross referencing plugs is for reference only and needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It isn't called a spark plug comparison fact sheet or rule or law or anythign else it is for reference and is just an approximation.

NGK, you know the company who actually manufactures the spark plugs that they sell under their name, who tests them, labels them and classifies them. SAys that under THEIR heat range scaling that a 7 is the stock heat range plug.

It doesn't matter what the hell champion or denso say is closest to their plugs NGK says on their chart 7 is stock.. that means a BKR7E is STOCK not one heat range cooler. The ONLY thing that matters is what NGK say is stock and they claim 7 stock.. end of story.

This is really really really really simple to figure out.

The point about unitronic was that anything that one company says about another is worthless as it is NOT their product and they don't know the specifics.

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
If memory (and google) serves me correctly the stock plug is a Bosch F6KPP332S. I had no issues running the stock plugs.

Arin, Did you mean "FR6KPP332S"? I think you forgot the R :thumbsup:

EDIT: after looking up sparks on ECS, I found they list:

Bosch #FR6KPP332S
TSI Engines Only
Set of Bosch spark plugs for your 2.0T

Bosch #0 242 240 627
FSI Engines Only
Set of OE Bosch spark plugs for your 2.0T

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
would bad plugs cause a car to not make full boost or build boost slowly? i shoulda never ran that torco shit...

in my head it doesnt and i need to be looking into my dv or ic hose leak, but just brainstorming outloud...i guess i just thread jacked, but in case of relevance, im at 21700ish miles tuned since 3k and stg 2 for the past 8...time to change plugs im sure...

PROGLIDE

Banned
i'm not sure where everyone is getting the NGK stock replacement plug heat range #s from but I looked it up for my car at ngk.com and it's definately a heat range of 6

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 4,648

Chris@RT

Banned
i'm not sure where everyone is getting the NGK stock replacement plug heat range #s from but I looked it up for my car at ngk.com and it's definately a heat range of 6

Did you read the website?

"NGK.com specializes in distribution of hard to find NGK products."
"WE ARE NOT NGK SPARKPLUGS USA. To contact them click here"

If you go to NGK.com and search for 2.0t jetta by application it doesn't come up. If you search by spark plug model it only shows one year of 2.0t jetta and 2 years of 2.0t passat (I think). No A4s no A3s no gti and missing tons of years. Basically that means they threw whatever they wanted on the list.

The PFR6Q is NOT the stock replacement plug for a 2.0t from NGK that site is incorrect and that is why it doesn't come up when you search by actual vehicle application on there.

If you actually go to ngksparkplugs.com and do a search there or go through their giant global application guide for every application they cover in the world right from NGK... the company that actually MAKES the spark plug... tells you that the proper plug is the PFR7S8EG

NGK says stock plus is a heat range 7.. nothing else to question.