GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 2 won't pass emissions test.

DonHowson

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
I just failed an emissions test. I have an APR 2 tune with an APR DP.

I specifically asked about emissions tests, and I was assured it would not be a problem. It is also why I decided to pay extra for a DP with a cat.

I just got off the phone with APR, and they tell me I have to have the car flashed back to stage 1 to pass the emissions test.

Really? So I am supposed to do this every year?

Anybody else run into this?

.../don

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
lol you think thats bad. Everytime emissions comes up in Cali most of us have to put our stock downpipe back on.

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
Yep. and if we have an intake we have to put the stock one back on unless the aftermarket one has a carb sticker.

Electricalbox

OMG CAT FTW!
Don't be sissies removal and installation of downpipe takes 45 minutes...lol I remember back with hondas we would have to swap out the motor or with my miata I had to remove all the turbo system. :biggrin: Smog tech asked "why do you have an intercooler" and I said it just sits there because I am too lazy to remove the bumper from the PO. lol

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
Don't be sissies removal and installation of downpipe takes 45 minutes...lol I remember back with hondas we would have to swap out the motor lulz.

removing a Honda engine probably requires the same effort as a dp on a gti lol 4 bolts and drop it hahaha

plac

GTI Master
yes you have to do this every year. stage 2 flash disables an ODBII readiness code, which most emissions testers will check. stage 1 does not disable that code.

nunumkv

Ready to race!
How does this emmissions test work what do they look for an what the gernal rules on it?
Do you have to turn your car in no matter what? or only some citys in that state?
Also what happens if you fail
I live in Florida so dont have this problem.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
some states like cali might require all rediness codes to report back, but some like ct you can have one that doesnt respond

Starfox92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
CW GTI 6 speed
Yep. and if we have an intake we have to put the stock one back on unless the aftermarket one has a carb sticker.

pretty much everything in Cali is illegal if it gives you any sort of real gain haha. Even once I put my cat-back on and got my Neuspeed intake (of course with the carb sticker) I will get cops here and there giving me shit like they want to give me a fix-it ticket but realize they can't.

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
OP,

from what was discussed previously about this issue. There's one thing you can do:

With your current hardware setup (APR 3" DP catted) you can request the ff:

1.) Ask APR if they can tune your car back to Stage 2 with the NON-Testpipe file.
2.) Purchase an o2 sensor spacer or Wayne Angle Block, this will help eliminate the catalytic efficiency.
3.) You then VAG-COM your car to run the readiness of the cat efficiency, if all goes ok, drive the car on the hwy, until you heat the cat, and finally
4.) have emissions test...

i know some people passed their Stage 2 on emissions, as for the steps above, i'm not sure of the last 2 steps if that's what needs to be done. All I remember was you need to get an O2 sensor spacer and have APR tune your car to Stage 2 with the NON-TEST Pipe file.

The reason behind the Stage 2 APR is that it disables the cat efficiency, so for sure you won't pass emissions test. They did mention however that you can get the NON-Testpipe file but you will have a CEL, that is why you need an o2 sensor spacer to eliminate the CEL.