GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 Flat Spot

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
2008 FSI - Running 94 Oct on the 93 map - stock except for a chip engine wise.

Have a flat spot around 4700-5300 (varrying) in higher gears, mainly 5th, sometimes 4th.

Does not feel like a fuel cut, almost like power has been reduced by about 20whp for half a second, then continues.

RPM changes but it is usually in the low 5000s, and only under high load.

Did some searching and saw a few other people had a similar issue, am I just running out of fuel or what?

I do not have VAGCOM or know anybody with it.

Hoping APR will chime in here, I know this is not an issue with the software and an issue with my car, but perhaps they can shed some light on what is happening.

langer

i fix teefs
Sounds like you'd probably be chasing your tail unless you do some logs. Which would require you to find someone with vcds. Try one of the local forums on vortex.

07bunny

Passed Driver's Ed
Had the same issue, I actually did some logs with the local apr dealer and found that boost was cutting out in these rpm's, really didn't know why, but I ended up buying a dp and going stg 2, that fixed my problem for that

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
Had the same issue, I actually did some logs with the local apr dealer and found that boost was cutting out in these rpm's, really didn't know why, but I ended up buying a dp and going stg 2, that fixed my problem for that

Feels exactly like dumping boost, sounds like we had the same issue.

Glad to know Stage 2 makes the issue go away, was concerned it would get worse.

Curious why the boost cut occurs, anyone have any insite?

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
lack of a downpipe, increade back pressure at those rpms..thats my guess. stg too gets a dp that is wider, allows more flow, less back pressure..

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Could be the "safety parameters" in the tune. I've heard APR speaking of something like this in the past. Someone had dyno'd their car and inquired about a strange drop in curve at higher RPMs and I believe someone from APR explained what it was there for. The non-technical explanation was something along the lines of "to keep your turbo from exploding."

I just tried to find the thread, but couldn't turn up any results. Was maybe 2 years ago.

lack of a downpipe, increade back pressure at those rpms..thats my guess. stg too gets a dp that is wider, allows more flow, less back pressure..

You're on the right track, though I believe it has more to do with EGTs than back pressure.

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
Makes sense to me, restrictive DP plus the high loads / increased timing on the 93 program.

I would imaging the EGT gets pretty high, especially with the cold *20F weather I was doing the pulls in.

Nice to know APR has these safeties built into the software.

KingEgi

Design....Innovate
Car(s)
2006 GTI Mkv
the flat spot will still be there on stage 2 as well, just wont be as noticeable. You should log like others have said to be sure but if its not boost leaks then its probably fueling. I couldn't solve that "flat spot" issue until I went stage2+ with hpfp and then upgraded to the higher limit fuel return valve. After doing that, power is smooth until shift and fuel is always there, every time.

Last edited:

07bunny

Passed Driver's Ed
It was demanding less boost from what I saw, it won't cut it out completely when you go stage 2, it will just drop from 20psi to 15-17 in the higher rpm's because of the turbo being small

KingEgi

Design....Innovate
Car(s)
2006 GTI Mkv
Ofcourse, no matter the tune pressure will drop on a k03 nearing redline but the if you are wondering why their is a soft spot at 4500-5k its more than likely fuel. I'm on Revo which allows me to slightly tweak my requested boost (Boost setting - 8) and I have a few extra bars of fuel up top to deal with timing pull at peak requested boost to keep from hitting a dead spot. Stock fuel valve can crack prematurely, Rs4 valve will not. Still, fuel logs will tell the complete story. (i.e fuel requested and actual)

KingEgi

Design....Innovate
Car(s)
2006 GTI Mkv