GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR anti-theft and NJ insurance

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Has anyone attempted to shave a few bucks off their insurance (NJ) by declaring an APR anti-theft system on their policy? I got the fully loaded stage 1 on sale recently, so I have the anti-theft.

Apparently the MkV GTI comes with a passive anti-theft from the factory, as my insurance policy already has a discount for it just based on the VIN. From what I've gathered, "passive" means a system that engages with no manual process other than removing the key, getting out of the vehicle, and locking the door. The APR system would not be passive because it requires that the driver remember to engage it, so it's not as valuable the way the categories are written. But maybe the combination of the stock passive system and the aftermarket non-passive system is better than just stock...? It definitely prevents a thief with key-in-hand from driving away, unlike stock, but I wouldn't be surprised if the laws don't account for that.

And I guess providing a receipt or owners manual for the APR tune could end up costing me more than it saves, if they decide that means I have more go-juice to insure... anyone ever deal with that?

J-Fly

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi TTS
I'm Stage I and maybe Stage II soon. I honestly never understood what the anti-theft actually does or how to use it. My APR dealer never explained it to me so if anyone on this thread wants to explain it, I would greatly appreciate it.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
It's explained here: http://www.goapr.com/products/antitheft.html. If you ever use the security lock out to prevent program switching, it's a similar concept:

Security lock out (hold res until 3 flashes) prevents program switching until your PIN is entered.

Anti-theft (set set res res set set res res) prevents the car from starting until your PIN is entered.

Dustinzinnj

My progressive rep filed it under "physical anti theft", I assume like a fuel pump switch or anything similar. I said it was a program not a tune. Not sure how much it dropped off mine (as my car also has VIN etching and the same passive anti theft), as I added their version of GAP coverage at the same time.

-J