GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running Bilstein B6 shocks with OEM springs?

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Interested in upgrading to the B6 shocks at some point over the next year.

Qustion for you guys who have them with stock springs....from some of the comments it's not clear if the ride height turns out to be same as stock or a little higher? While I'm past the days where I'd seek to lower a car, I don't really want to raise the ride height either...
The are also a little firm for stock springs. Awesome shocks but work better with stiffer springs. In theory, shocks don't change the height but the gas pressure does work like added spring force and more so in B6 than the lower pressure stock or B4s so you may add 1/4" or so once it settles. Car will lose any wallow and have lots more rebound damping than stock shocks but you will also lose ride quality which is more based on damping than spring rate. The ballistics are really better with firmer springs. Their damping rates are set to mate with stronger sport springs.

I swapped the suspension on my Alltrack but had I kept the stock springs, I'd have just bought B4s. I hated the rear shocks on the Alltrack. I didn't get B6s with my GTI springs because of what I've said here and needed to keep a better ride for family reasons. I went with Koni special actives which are working out. Firmer than B4s when you need it, ride better than B6s but not as crisp initially or generally for that matter. B6s work OK with GTI springs but prefer something even firmer.

That said, I truly believe that they're the best readily available damper on the market. My bro autocrosses and didn't get B6s until he got significantly firmer springs. Considering how you need to rebuild the struts and would have rear spring access to replace the shocks anyway, which keeps the labor cost near the same, I'd strongly recommend doing both at the same time if get B6s. At least GTI springs and you probably won't notice a meaningful ride height difference unless you look for it.

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion

Qustion for you guys who have them with stock springs....from some of the comments it's not clear if the ride height turns out to be same as stock or a little higher? While I'm past the days where I'd seek to lower a car, I don't really want to raise the ride height either...
Mine stayed same ride height.
I was also wondering if having the B6 shocks coupled with the SuperPro LCA and Camber Mounts will help with getting steering feel into the car, rather than the dead fish that it is right now, or is this a waste?
It probably would. I run coils now, but the different 1-1.5° of camber will make is huge. Also your toe. Toe-in in the front is great for stability, the car tracking straight etc. Toe out will make the car feel a little darty as you steer. I went from 0 toe front to 1/16" total toe out and it made a big difference

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
Hi, thanks for this writeup! Have the B6 shocks improved steering feel, as this is really what I would love to improve. I hear the B16 transforms steering feel when coupled with an LCA.

My steering does feel a bit heavier and it’s definitely more communicative (so similar opinion to what bfury5 shared). That said, I did the B6 Damptronics at almost the same time as lightweight rotors (ECS slotted 2-piece) and wheels (RSe10’s) + some rear suspension stuff, so I can‘t credibly comment on which thing/combination of things resulted in that change in feel.

No difference in ride height AFAIK (but didn’t do before/after measurements)...unfortunately I don’t have before & after pics from the exact same angle, but here’s what I have —

Before -

F4C649FF-D41E-4B72-A72F-A2AB5EF38B72.jpeg

After -

9C78D0D9-058E-45D3-964E-99EA745CA698.jpeg

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
I am going to do a refresh on my suspension, I currently have DG springs with B4 Bilsteins. I was considering PSS9s, but I will stay with struts and springs and get a front end refresh kit and sub frame bushings instead. Should be a good balance of performance and ride quality.

JT

rudyg01

Car(s)
Golf Alltrack
2017 Alltrack 69k miles just replaced OE struts & shocks with a set of Bilstein B6 keeping the OE springs. I wanted to retain original ride height but with the new B6 kit the car appears to be at least 3/4" higher. Funny how slow degradation in shocks performance creeps up on you. The ride is significantly more composed, slightly firmer with more controlled body roll in corners. Most of all not it's even close to bottoming out the shocks going over speed bumps. Car feels like it graduated into the sports-luxury class up from economy. Bilstein offers the B6 struts for the GTi etc but not the Alltrack. These B6s are a straight swap. I used the 2x4 and VW AUDI 3424 hub spreader tool method. Got new pinch bolts from dealer and new mounts from RockAuto. After a little research discovered B6 struts have stop bumpers hidden internally due to inverted monotube design.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
They may firm up over a few 100 miles.

Frank416821

Passed Driver's Ed
2017 Alltrack 69k miles just replaced OE struts & shocks with a set of Bilstein B6 keeping the OE springs. I wanted to retain original ride height but with the new B6 kit the car appears to be at least 3/4" higher. Funny how slow degradation in shocks performance creeps up on you. The ride is significantly more composed, slightly firmer with more controlled body roll in corners. Most of all not it's even close to bottoming out the shocks going over speed bumps. Car feels like it graduated into the sports-luxury class up from economy. Bilstein offers the B6 struts for the GTi etc but not the Alltrack. These B6s are a straight swap. I used the 2x4 and VW AUDI 3424 hub spreader tool method. Got new pinch bolts from dealer and new mounts from RockAuto. After a little research discovered B6 struts have stop bumpers hidden internally due to inverted monotube design.
I'm at 77K and I want to replace my struts/shocks. I was thinking about going with the B6s, but I wasn't sure if the bump stops get transferred over to the B6 struts? If so, do you think I should buy new ones at 77K?

Does anyone know what size bump stop for the non-DCC GTI? Rockauto lists a few different sizes. The VW parts page lists the 2016 GTI autobahn with performance as having DCC but I don't have that which is causing me a little extra confusion about finding the correct one for stock ride height.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I'm at 77K and I want to replace my struts/shocks. I was thinking about going with the B6s, but I wasn't sure if the bump stops get transferred over to the B6 struts? If so, do you think I should buy new ones at 77K?

Does anyone know what size bump stop for the non-DCC GTI? Rockauto lists a few different sizes. The VW parts page lists the 2016 GTI autobahn with performance as having DCC but I don't have that which is causing me a little extra confusion about finding the correct one for stock ride height.
B6 have internal bump stops in the front, no need to buy new ones or transfer the old ones.

rudyg01

Car(s)
Golf Alltrack

B6 with stock springs restored OE ride height plus about 2mm. Effectively same as stock height but significantly more composed stroke with firmer and safer ride.

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
B6 have internal bump stops in the front, no need to buy new ones or transfer the old ones.
Concur. B6 struts equipped with internal bump stops. Toss the old external ones.

I’m not sure this is entirely correct? My understanding is that B6 (non Damptronic) have internal bump stops, however the DCC-compatible Damptronics do not and reuse the stock bump stops.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie

According to Bilstein, for the B6 DCC struts you use the stock bump stops. I can't speak for the non-DCC versions.

rudyg01

Car(s)
Golf Alltrack
According to Bilstein, for the B6 DCC struts you use the stock bump stops. I can't speak for the non-DCC versions.
On my Alltrack at about 75k miles I installed a set of B6s and top mounts. The Bilstein B6 struts already have internal bump stops. So toss the old exterior type. . Kept stock springs and ride height. Ride is much improved from the worn OE set but after 10k more miles think I’d like slightly more firmer higher speed ride/cornering control and bump steer front geometry correction.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
On my Alltrack at about 75k miles I installed a set of B6s and top mounts. The Bilstein B6 struts already have internal bump stops. So toss the old exterior type. . Kept stock springs and ride height. Ride is much improved from the worn OE set but after 10k more miles think I’d like slightly more firmer higher speed ride/cornering control and bump steer front geometry correction.
Are you running regular B6 struts or the DCC B6 versions?