GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone here track the Mk VI yet?

Dynjo

Ready to race!
If you read the latest Car and Driver, you will learn that the MkVI lapped their track SIGNIFICANTLY FASTER than the MkV they tested.

Why on earth would that be??

Dynjo

Ready to race!

Could you explain that a bit more?

On edit: OK, XDS is a better, smoother electronic differential lock algorithm, but I doubt that it could produce the 5-second difference in lap times.

Maybe just a better driver. Seems like that mag has had almost 100% turnover of their staff.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Could you explain that a bit more?

On edit: OK, XDS is a better, smoother electronic differential lock algorithm, but I doubt that it could produce the 5-second difference in lap times.

Maybe just a better driver. Seems like that mag has had almost 100% turnover of their staff.

Gota be a better driver man. I have an 09 which obviously doesn't have an XDS diff or programming or whatever. Not once did I ever experience traction issues with my drive wheels, and that was on a cold ass track in october. To my knowledge thats the only difference between the MKV and MKVI setups. So I can't see XDS making even a 1 second difference, let alone 5.

dowright82

WRX Convert
I can, and I've driven both cars hard . . . .

I will be taking my mkvi on a 1.8 mile 40 lap road course on JAN 23rd, I will get pictures and write a full review . . .

Its stock + lighter weight wheels + bridgestone RE50 pole position rubber + some track pads (if I can EVER find any that fit the mkvi . . . :( help out there??)

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
I can, and I've driven both cars hard . . . .

I will be taking my mkvi on a 1.8 mile 40 lap road course on JAN 23rd, I will get pictures and write a full review . . .

Its stock + lighter weight wheels + bridgestone RE50 pole position rubber + some track pads (if I can EVER find any that fit the mkvi . . . :( help out there??)

Pads aren't the same as the MKV? I didn't think the calipers were changed. I think I mentioned in another post (not sure if that was you) to contact your dealer.

dowright82

WRX Convert
I don't know! I did contact my dealer they said "the part numbers are the same, but the IDZPblahblahblah #s are different, so they must be different pads . . . . Why do you need pads already anyway??"

I didn't wanna tell them its gonna see the track soon . . . . haha

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
I don't know! I did contact my dealer they said "the part numbers are the same, but the IDZPblahblahblah #s are different, so they must be different pads . . . . Why do you need pads already anyway??"

I didn't wanna tell them its gonna see the track soon . . . . haha

Haha I gotchya. Idk man, only thing I can think of is to order a set of MKV pads, and if they dont fit, worse case scenario is you return them at your cost. Shouldnt be a problem as long as you don't actually use them ya know?

kootenaydub

The Scandinavian Flick
Or you could find out the part number from a manufacturer like HAWK/MINTEX , if they're the same pad, they will have the same number, regardless of vehicle application.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Or you could find out the part number from a manufacturer like HAWK/MINTEX , if they're the same pad, they will have the same number, regardless of vehicle application.

True, didn't think of that.

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
I found problems with the Mk V front diff on tight corners. Its a major shortcoming of the car IMO.

Dynjo

Ready to race!
Take your stock pad, trace the outline of the backing plate on to a piece of paper. Call a supplier and ask them if you can fax them the outline. They could then match it up (or not!) to what they have in stock.

Either way, they might appreciate knowing if there are differences between MkVI and MkV.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
I'll be doing some autocross come Jan 31st, and a dyno day before that on the 23rd. :)

Will post results here.

:thumbsup:

Take your stock pad, trace the outline of the backing plate on to a piece of paper. Call a supplier and ask them if you can fax them the outline. They could then match it up (or not!) to what they have in stock.

Either way, they might appreciate knowing if there are differences between MkVI and MkV.

Thats actually a really good idea. OP, do this.