GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone had this problem with the Dash Display?

mBardos

4 Year bump, but with good information :thumbsup:

These forums helped me a lot, starting from the time I was investigating about the MK5 GTI, even before buying it. So I decided to reciprocate ;)

Note that the screen in the pictures above is the full size/MFA+/highline diplay: SEPDISP12. SEPDISP10 is the half size one, found in some other models.

Edit: I did it and it works! One screw fell in the dash, took me some time to retrieve it, but otherwise a 20 min job.

Last edited:

hemidesign

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk5 Castrol 2008
I had a fix for this

Ok folks.. the ones still having this stupid problem, I had the same problem with my MK5 2008 MFD fading out all the freaking time! :mad: BUT, now I know how to fix without paying $1000 for the dealer.. btw, fuck the dealer..

1- disconnect the negative cable battery from your car
2- follow this instructions here:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/instrument-cluster-removal-jetta-golf.htm

3- after removal the cluster.. open the cluster like the instructions..(DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE SPEEDOMETER AND RPM GAUGES)
4- you gonna see the MFD LCD glass connected with a ribbon..with the motherboard in the cluster, using 2 toothpicks raise the 2 arms around the ribbon
5- take out the MFD from the white plastic fixture, be careful the MFD is a very tinny piece of LCD glass, so don't fuck around too much!
6- taking the LCD glass out.. use some Q-tips with alcohol and do some light cleaning on the ribbon connectors.. after, make sure is dry!
7- re-connect the ribbon back on the motherboard all the way down! btw, this cluster was built by SIEMENS in Germany, and looks like they didn't have connected all the way down, and by the time seems to get little dirty
8- re-assemble the entire cluster and install in your car again.. re-connect the negative battery again and VOILA!!! now I have my MFD shines and running strong like the SUN! No more defective lines and flickering! :happyanim:

I already fixed 4 MFD from mk5 before.. all with the same procedure above.. 100% fixed after! :wink:
If you guys need some photos, I can post later... step by step
Hope this helps!

hemidesign

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk5 Castrol 2008
forgot something.. IF you doesn't get any results from the tutorial above..you might decide to buy a new LCD from your golf mk5

Just order direct the new LCD from this guys..

PIXELFIX CORP.

pixelfixltd@yahoo.com

talk to Balazs, make sure He send the U.S. size unit... (85.25mm)

They're located in Hungary, the new LCD with ship is around $100 only with paypal process... takes 1 week only to ship to US.

good luck!

Last edited:

senglory

MFD Screen Can you please send me some photos of this tutorial

Ok folks.. the ones still having this stupid problem, I had the same problem with my MK5 2008 MFD fading out all the freaking time! :mad: BUT, now I know how to fix without paying $1000 for the dealer.. btw, fuck the dealer..

1- disconnect the negative cable battery from your car
2- follow this instructions here:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/instrument-cluster-removal-jetta-golf.htm

3- after removal the cluster.. open the cluster like the instructions..(DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE SPEEDOMETER AND RPM GAUGES)
4- you gonna see the MFD LCD glass connected with a ribbon..with the motherboard in the cluster, using 2 toothpicks raise the 2 arms around the ribbon
5- take out the MFD from the white plastic fixture, be careful the MFD is a very tinny piece of LCD glass, so don't fuck around too much!
6- taking the LCD glass out.. use some Q-tips with alcohol and do some light cleaning on the ribbon connectors.. after, make sure is dry!
7- re-connect the ribbon back on the motherboard all the way down! btw, this cluster was built by SIEMENS in Germany, and looks like they didn't have connected all the way down, and by the time seems to get little dirty
8- re-assemble the entire cluster and install in your car again.. re-connect the negative battery again and VOILA!!! now I have my MFD shines and running strong like the SUN! No more defective lines and flickering! :happyanim:

I already fixed 4 MFD from mk5 before.. all with the same procedure above.. 100% fixed after! :wink:
If you guys need some photos, I can post later... step by step
Hope this helps!

Can you please send me some photos re this tutorial. I am about to disassemble cluster of my VW2005 FSI wit same problems . Fading MFD and flickering blank screen.

Thanks

Niles

Felt I should bump an old thread for those who are lost on this issue. I tried Hemidesign's way and didn't get the results he got. My MFD was still out and I was back at square one afterwards. I just decided to order another MKV instrument cluster off of Ebay and switch out the LDC's. Viola! It works. The switch out is easy as hell and took me about 20 mins...maybe. Lived with my intermittent MFD for over two years now and wish I had done this earlier.

FMX_DBC

Dirt Bike Craig
Car(s)
'06 Tornado Red GTI
Felt I should bump an old thread for those who are lost on this issue. I tried Hemidesign's way and didn't get the results he got. My MFD was still out and I was back at square one afterwards. I just decided to order another MKV instrument cluster off of Ebay and switch out the LDC's. Viola! It works. The switch out is easy as hell and took me about 20 mins...maybe. Lived with my intermittent MFD for over two years now and wish I had done this earlier.

Can you help with some info on how to switch out the LCD's? I've had mine apart before looking at everything but never fixed it

corradokidg60

Car(s)
19 GTI, 90 Corrado

I do have a question at this part: my cluster open, there's a metal piece surrounding the LCD keeping it in place and looks like the only way to remove it is to disassemble the gauges and remove needles but step 3 says explicitly not to. :iono:

I see the display has a ribbon on the left and the right side going to the motherboard (1/2006 manufacture date, North American model.)

Any more ideas or pics to help as more and more MKVs have fading displays due to heat and age?