GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone had this problem with the Dash Display?

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
Dealer cant get me in to check it out for like 4 weeks and it just pisses me off (not that they cant get me in, but that my sort of new car does this)!

When it is hot on the inside of the car this happens (like 90-100 degrees F).

Anyone know whats wrong?

Attachments

• DSC_0047.JPG
    DSC_0047.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 47,040
  • DSC_0175.JPG
    DSC_0175.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 17,534
  • DSC_0029.JPG
    DSC_0029.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 15,435
  • DSC_0140.JPG
    DSC_0140.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 15,700

mikegabriel

Banned
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
If youre bored, reseat the cluster. It's only held in by like 2 screws. Maybe a connection is a bit loose on the back. Wouldn't hurt to try since you have a long wait.

Technic

Ultimate Driver's Wanted
If youre bored, reseat the cluster. It's only held in by like 2 screws. Maybe a connection is a bit loose on the back. Wouldn't hurt to try since you have a long wait.

If the dealer is not of the "nice" kind, doing that will incite the dealer to void the warranty for that part if in fact there is a defect.

Leave it alone and take it to the dealer.

mikegabriel

Banned
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
If the dealer is not of the "nice" kind, doing that will incite the dealer to void the warranty for that part if in fact there is a defect.

Leave it alone and take it to the dealer.

They would never know. It slides right out - no dash removal. As long as you don't go ripping things apart it would be a quick test.

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
Yeah, I thought about taking it apart, but didnt want to screw with it too much. The first dealer I took it to directly after purchasing the car (Howard Cooper in Ann Arbor MI) told me I was an idiot basically and that there was no way that the dash display could do that. I had pics on my cell phone, but they brushed me off because they werent "clear". Come on, when one side is completely RED and the other is BLACK...there's a problem. So I started carrying my SLR with me everywhere in order to catch it in action. Took like 10 months to recur, but when it did, I took over 200 pictures of it.

I go to a new dealer now in Lansing and dont ever want to do business with Howard Cooper in Ann Arbor again, so I guess it will be a while before I can get it fixed...

Pretty sweet though huh? Never knew it had that function!

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
Never happened to me, but I've heard various reports of the MFD doing that in really hot weather.
Seems getting a new cluster is the only solution. Dealer should warranty it, I believe.

mBardos

Never happened to me, but I've heard various reports of the MFD doing that in really hot weather.
Seems getting a new cluster is the only solution. Dealer should warranty it, I believe.

Mine does the same thing, but I am out of warranty. The dealer wanted to change the whole cluster and that's ain't cheap :(
So I spent some time on forums, found out that you can replace just the LCD. But the LCD is really hard to find, spent a lot of time searching, so to save anyone looking for it the time: MiniTools

I'll try to change mine in the week-end (as they said no soldering is needed), so wish me luck ;)