GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone done the Big 3?

bulldogger

Going for broke
I just recently picked up one of our local newspaper's fosgate specials on a small 10" w/ box, amp, and cap. I am using my stock HU and LOC. I know its not anything that is going to overkill my car by any means, but I kinda figured that since I'm on this small audio mod kick I might as well address the cheap and easy mod know as the "Big 3". I've done this before on my wife's car, but I was wondering if anyone here has any tips/advice/walk through specifically for our MKVs? And one more question, for those that have done the BIG 3 on your way nicer setup than my cheap sh*t, have you noticed a difference with your big 3 (more directed at the car's ability to handle your ICE)?

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
Unless you're pulling a lot of current it'll be a small difference at best. You might get a very small increase in mileage but other than that don't expect much.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
for a single amp and a 10" sub, its not needed, and you won't even need that cap either

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
Noob Question... What is the "big 3" thanks for your time

The Big 3 (not Detroit) is often referred to as your battery to chassis ground cable, motor to chassis ground cable, and alt + to battery + cable.

99% of the time, if all you're doing is adding one amp, it's not needed. I'm running a stock electrical system, and I have zero light dimming, even when cranked all the way up.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
I doubt MKV's would ever get light dim anyway. With the little amount of current HID's need (compared to halogen) they are more resistant to dimming. My current setup definitely dimmed my Regal lights, but don't even begin to affect my HID's.

My MFD though, that's a different story. That fucker dims quite a bit on certain tracks.

bulldogger

Going for broke
Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, I know the cap is not needed, but It was thrown in for free to help sway me to buy the crap; the aesthetic appeal/value helped seal the deal and I'm a sucker for free stuff. Believe me, I'm with you guys when recommending against a cap for any system, you gotta address the real issues first like the Big 3, upgrading the charging system, and batt- then possibly a cap, but once you get those done, you wouldnt need one. Bottom line is, I got it for free and free ninety nine is always the best price- I sure hope that doesn't make me a hypocrite now lol. Anyways, I'm still thinking about doing the "Big 3" for three reasons:

1) I already have the materials laying around
2) There's nothing else I can afford to do to keep my mod bug happy (funds now tied up for x-mas)
3) For a very small piece of mind. It maybe small, but at least I know its there!​

So I guess that brings me back to my original question- anyone here has any tips/advice/walk through specifically for our MKVs?

Thanks again to everyone's help so far! :thumbsup:

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
LOL you never NEED a cap.

oh, yeah I know.. I should have been more clear. Most people don't realize that its just one more thing for the alt to keep charged