GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody running 205/60R16 winter tires?

Wüstenfuchs

Alpha and Omega
I was shopping for some 205/55R16 winter tires and noticed that 205/60R16 are at least $10 cheaper per tire. I know the 60s will be more narrow but I plan on mounting them on 6.5 wide wheels and narrow it theory will have less resistance going through snow. To me the 205/60 seem like a better choice over the 55, unless I'm overlooking something.

Wüstenfuchs

Alpha and Omega
You want more traction area, not less resistance. but it wont matter that much.

so, it's a matter of traction vs resistance and most likely they cancel each other out

Timvgti

Ready to race!
I also found 2nd hand 205 60 r16 tires with steel VW rims and bolts.
Found that 205 55 r16 should be the adviced size.
What would be the downside for 205 60 r16 tires on my mkv GTI?
(because I want to buy them... Good 2nd hand price)

Thanks,

Tim

Gavin@TireRack.com

GolfMkV Sponsor
Car(s)
2010 VW GTI
I was shopping for some 205/55R16 winter tires and noticed that 205/60R16 are at least $10 cheaper per tire. I know the 60s will be more narrow but I plan on mounting them on 6.5 wide wheels and narrow it theory will have less resistance going through snow. To me the 205/60 seem like a better choice over the 55, unless I'm overlooking something.

A 205/55R16 is a better fit on the vehicle, as it retains the OE tire/wheel diameter. A 205/60R16 is a 1/2" taller than OE, so your speedometer etc. will be off a little bit.

Both sizes have the same width, and therefore would have the same grip. For winter applications, narrower is better as rolling resistance through a 3D surface actually works against you more than the gain of the added width of a tire. Check out our article here for all of the technical data regarding "minus sizing."

The only advantage of the 205/60's in this case would be price, and maybe a better chance against pothole damage...:smile:

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI

205 is the width
60 is the height
16 is wheel size

With that Gavin answered the ? about a taller tire already. You will be fine.