GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody else replace radiator at 90k?

raydub

Ready to race!
i'm pretty annoyed right now. why is my radiator leaking so soon? anyone else have this issue?

vw wants $400 for the radiator and coolant @ 5 hrs of labor = $999

OY.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
i'm pretty annoyed right now. why is my radiator leaking so soon? anyone else have this issue?

vw wants $400 for the radiator and coolant @ 5 hrs of labor = $999

OY.

There are many reasons why a radiator will leak, take the advice that redspade has provided you and run with it.

raydub

Ready to race!
excellent. thanks, guys. i'll do that.

Car(s)
Subaru
excellent. thanks, guys. i'll do that.

np. btw, what is leaking exactly? is it the plastic end tanks?

heres something else to think about though. if you havent had you timing belt and water pump changed, then now would be a good time to have them just do it all.

huh. Wonder why the all-aluminum radiator (which is less likely to leak than one with plastic tanks) says it's for manual transmissions only.

Now I'm wondering if G12 coolant is compatible with brass radiators - which you can fix at home with a wire brush and some plumbing supplies. (I speak from experience. Some boob broke the drain off of the radiator on my fiat and reattached it with jb-weld. Did not hold. Wire brush, acid flux, leaded solder, propane torch. done and done.)

raydub

Ready to race!
thanks, redspade. how much extra would that be (approx.)?

they call the coolant G13 now, btw. just a new part naming distinction the dude said?

Car(s)
Subaru
huh. Wonder why the all-aluminum radiator (which is less likely to leak than one with plastic tanks) says it's for manual transmissions only.

Now I'm wondering if G12 coolant is compatible with brass radiators - which you can fix at home with a wire brush and some plumbing supplies. (I speak from experience. Some boob broke the drain off of the radiator on my fiat and reattached it with jb-weld. Did not hold. Wire brush, acid flux, leaded solder, propane torch. done and done.)

dsg would need a transmission cooler too

Car(s)
Subaru
thanks, redspade. how much extra would that be (approx.)?

they call the coolant G13 now, btw. just a new part naming distinction the dude said?

you need to do the timing belt at about 100k miles. youre coming up on that. if you dont do that, then your timing belt could slip, rip, or explode into thousands of pieces. any of those could destroy your engine. also, vw recommends replacing the water pump too. water pumps are cheap, but the parts and labor of doing a timing belt is expensive. shops will vary.

the g13 coolant is what i used last. i want to say i payed $45 for 2 gallons but thats was a few months ago

G13?

Did they change the color of the cap on the overflow bottle again?

The 1.5L bottle of HEPU G12+ (dilute 1:3 with distilled) in the boot of my GTI cost me something like $16 at the local import parts shop.

raydub

Ready to race!
you need to do the timing belt at about 100k miles. youre coming up on that. if you dont do that, then your timing belt could slip, rip, or explode into thousands of pieces. any of those could destroy your engine. also, vw recommends replacing the water pump too. water pumps are cheap, but the parts and labor of doing a timing belt is expensive. shops will vary.

the g13 coolant is what i used last. i want to say i payed $45 for 2 gallons but thats was a few months ago
oy. not sure i wanna drop too much loot since might be getting a '10 s4 soon..