GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody been to Japan? Travel tips wanted..

raydub

Ready to race!
hey.. i'm headed to japan with my buddy and wanted to know if any of you had some must-have tips for traveling there.

not looking for the basic tips that you'd get from a quick google search. i'd like more of an insider's take.

we'll be there for about 8 days and are staying in shunjuku. although we'll be heading to kyoto for a day or two, also.

thnx!

fusiongt

Ready to race!
Tip #1: Learn to spell the place you're staying

Nah but really 8 days in Shinjuku is over kill. I would rather do 2 days there and 8 days in Kyoto. Tokyo is great and all but after 3 days I think you'll want to see something different than endless people, shopping, electronics, etc. I went last year and enjoyed Kyoto and Osaka a lot more so I'd say do some research (or grab a few travel books) because there's a lot more to see than just Tokyo.

Also since you'll probably be taking the bullet train to Kyoto, consider it's $100-150 a ticket so you probably want to explore it more than just 2 days.

Another tip is the street addresses there are just messed up (at least I never figured it out). They number the house addresses based on when they're built and not in numerical order so it's really difficult to find places... not to mention they have to list like 4-5 street names in their address because it's stupid like that. So don't just depend on things like Google maps because it's not that simple - a real map you can hold is important. I'd also say check out some of the high end restaurants in Tokyo because they have a number of 3 starred restaurants if you're a foodie. My mouth still waters thinking about some of the great places I ate at in Japan.

Slownorth

Tits. Yum
Car(s)
2008 cw gti

avoid

take a $100 flight to Okinawa...its the hawaii of japan. Lots of good culture, and still an american economy if you need it due to the military bases. Go see the Banana Show (youtube it if you have questions), drink some Habu Sake, and go snorkling at Maeda Point, IMO it was better than snorkling at the GBR in Australia.

-FF

raydub

Ready to race!
fusiongt: thnx! excellent feedback. just what i was hoping for. the round trip (including 8 nights in shInjuku) was just $1440, nonstop, round trip. so, maybe i'll add osaka and okinawa to the trip. can i fit all that in 8 days?

@fahrenheit: thnx! really? hawaii-like? interesting..

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
take a $100 flight to Okinawa...its the hawaii of japan. Lots of good culture, and still an american economy if you need it due to the military bases. Go see the Banana Show (youtube it if you have questions), drink some Habu Sake, and go snorkling at Maeda Point, IMO it was better than snorkling at the GBR in Australia.

-FF

This sounds sweet! Plus you are in Japan long enough that you could spend the time to fly there and back and still see a lot of the rest.