GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any of you WA guys defer a ticket before?

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
You get clocked goin that fast you keep goin... :)

yeah.... should have. the exit was less than a mile away. he wrote the ticket for 80mph though. lol. gotta love being a vet.

racinrabbit

Professional Wheelman
Ok, so I do not have to do it in person? I got it in Ritzville... about 200 milesaway from school/Seattle

HAHA thats awesome, I got my first speeding ticket in Ritzville too. I was on my way to visit friends at WSU. Anyways I just wrote on the back of the ticket that I wanted to defer and then sent it in. They mailed me some paperwork that I just had to sign and return (along with payment for the ticket) and that was it

racinrabbit

Professional Wheelman

deprogram

# cat foo >> /usr/golfmk5
Car(s)
1999 323i
What they need to do is enforce the freakin' left lane as a high-speed lane only. That would fix A LOT of damn problems IMO. Maybe they should have a special test and license endorsement to be able to drive in the left lane and make the speed limit 85. No old people, no SUVs, no women drivers. Just kidding. Kinda. Lol.

Isn't it state law here that you have to keep right? I've never seen it enforced. Or perhaps it's just that the worst offenders are driving right at or below the speed limit...

deprogram

Car(s)
1999 323i
Also: get a lawyer. It's so worth it.

My first ticket here was on the Kitsap peninsula, 67 in a 50, pretty much a bogus call as I was slowing down for the 50 mph zone from a 60. I contested the ticket, showed up, entered a statement into the record stating (very carefully) that I thought my speed was reasonable and I had slowed down when entering the 50 mph zone - which I had done. I didn't make any statements as to actual speed or anything incriminating. The judge dismissed my ticket. He dismissed everyone's ticket in the courtroom that day. Which was weird. Either he was just being nice or these were cases he had earmarked for dismissal.

I think an important point was that I made no statements to the officer and there was no written statement from him on the bottom of the ticket. The written statement is basically the only evidence against you unless the officer shows up to testify, and they don't have to in this state.

If you actually were speeding and well aware of it, you shouldn't perjure yourself to get out of a ticket. That's when you pick apart the case on other points, go after the service records on the radar gun, see if the speedometer on the pace car was ever calibrated, etc. etc.

The statute number was also pretty mangled which might have merited a dismissal on it's own.

Of course, IANAL and this does not constitute legal advice. I recommend competent legal counsel. Personally, I think I'll just get a lawyer next time, and save the stress of fighting the ticket myself.

deprogram

Car(s)
1999 323i
$300 is a damn sight less than hitting the next tier in your insurance bracket.

Deferring costs $100-$150, ticket costs at least that much + points.

Be aware that you get ONLY ONE deferral per SEVEN years. For any offense! I wouldn't waste it on a speeding ticket, but that's just me.

deprogram

Car(s)
1999 323i
RCW 10.05.010
Eligibility -- Time for petition.

(1) In a court of limited jurisdiction a person charged with a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor may petition the court to be considered for a deferred prosecution program.

---
Of course, there are a lot of caveats, but no, deferred prosecution will work with any misdemeanor. DUI is one that's very popular. Not that I'm suggesting anyone would ever drive under the influence, of course.

crabpot

Awesomesauce
I'm 90% sure that a deferral of that nature is totally different from deferring a speeding ticket. You are technically allowed two deferrals in 7 years, one for a moving violation and one for non-moving.

Never heard of anyone being able to defer anything besides a speeding ticket.

deprogram

Car(s)
1999 323i
:iono:

I've also never had a speeding infraction dismissed outright, and I've had plenty of those. The entire deferral system is weird and unique to this state. Traffic infractions are handled in a very expedited fashion.

Again, IANAL (I just like using that acronym). But really, I'm not.

You can clearly defer a DUI.
http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/whamilto/DPIntro.htm

Completely unique to this state, and as I have not actually read all the statutes, I can't say I fully understand it yet. Your attorney will be able to advise you, however. :thumbsup:

treedub

Oversight
Car(s)
MKV R32
For the record I have not ever gotten a DUI ticket. I do however have some experience in the system... do not defer your first DUI.. you will get fucked.

deprogram

Car(s)
1999 323i
Yeah, I was just reading that. Save your deferral for the second DUI, cuz that's the bad one. Mandatory jail time and all that good stuff.

Of course, preferable is to do your drinking at home. Or... something.