GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alcohol for scuff marks?

ton32581tran

Ready to race!
Hey I read on another forum that alcohol can be used to smooth out light scuff marks on the paint, is this true? I have a really faint streak that you can only see at a certain angle and with the sunlight directly on it. You cant even see it if you're looking directly at it. I wanted to make sure this is legit before trying it. I got the scuff mark from a brush at a car wash. Never going there again.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Alcohol isn't good for paint. It can be used to get marks off of plastic (kick panels, dash board etc...) but not on the painted pieces of your car. Use Zymol it works good for me. I mean it won't take the paint off your car, but if used too much it could fade the spot.

sadd3j

Vwoooooooooooooom
Grab some Meg's Scratch-X.. your scuff marks are basically scratches in the clearcoat. It's a fairly fine abrasive polish. It'll take the scuff marks right out. I bet you'll be able to do it by hand in under 5 minutes if they're really light.

Then just apply your sealant/protectant or whatever normal wax process you use.

Good luck, try not to jack other people's threads like the windscreen scratch thread :thumbdown:

Mateya49

Oval Champion
Car(s)
06GTI, 02Lincoln LS
It is perfectly ok to use a little alcohol on a microfiber cloth to clean off very small spots. That combo for worked wonders for my lincoln LS when i had a sap problem. There are products for removing those spots but alcohol works wonders.

Mateya

gti mkv

Ready to race!
It is perfectly ok to use a little alcohol on a microfiber cloth to clean off very small spots. That combo for worked wonders for my lincoln LS when i had a sap problem. There are products for removing those spots but alcohol works wonders.

Mateya

rubbing alchol is safe on paint...just like any chemical(including wax) if you rub too hard in one spot, yes it will irritate the paint in that spot. apply alittle, rub gently, wipe dry

nosbiggie

Ready to race!
meguires scrach X...works great