GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

air filter size

motorhoney

Ready to race!
Hello.

As many of you know, the VF intake (while having a beautiful, seamless "stick") comes with a dwarf sized K&N filter.

Just for giggles, I cleaned up my buddies "Spectre" air filter, a giant ball of electrical tape (to act as a reducer for the tiny intake "stick") and put it on my car. Bottom end torque was GONE. It was SLOW, but it pulled just the same if not more up top. Also, the intake noises were few and far between.

I swapped back to my K&N after just a few minutes.

Is the size of the air filter supposed to be so crucial to the performance? Would the ECU eventually adjust and run BETTER after a while of leaving it on? Which one should I keep on my car!?

FYI, this filter was off my friend's V70, he upgraded to the HUGE one that autozone sells (about 12" long) and his car was just happy, regardless of the size difference.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
i got a neuspeed pflo, which i hate by the way, and i dont use the neuspeed filter that came with it and in turn use a k&n i got from somewhere else, i think its the same unless arin from apr wants to come in here and tell u all about how the maf works