GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket thermostat?

TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummm, why? This doesn't make sense.

PARKER

Passed Driver's Ed
Really? It makes the engine run around 175 instead of around 190. I know on motorcycles you just change out the coolant for something like water wetter and makes everything run cooler and better. So I was thinking about doing the same thing in my car, but I would have to change the thermostat to one that would allow the engine to run cooler. Otherwise it will just regulate it at the same temp. Correct?

vwangler

Keep ur $ I <3 my clunker
Car(s)
2008 MKV GTI
Unless you are competing in a 24 hour race, or live in an area with a ridiculously hot climate, there is no reason to replace the thermostat. I don't know exactly how the thermostat works on the MK5, but on my MK1... it is just a valve that opens and closes at certain temperatures to send coolant to the engine. Also, don't forget that your coolant also runs to your heater core.

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Running a colder thermostat used to be really common on performance cars. I'm surprised you guys have never heard of this concept. Usually it's like 160 degrees? Ours is 190 degrees. I dunno. prolly won't do too much for you.

Good article

http://hotrodscott.blogspot.com/2007/08/cooler-thermostats.html

After reading this... it sounds like a colder thermostat would be a bad idea.

Chris@RT

Banned
Most modern cars have electric fans and even electric thermostats in some cases. Sure you can put in a lower thermostat but the fans are just going to come on later and run for less time. You'll still end up running the car at the same temp.

Also with modern electronics the car runs differently at different temps so lowering the temps can put it into a cold start map and hurt performance.

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Most modern cars have electric fans and even electric thermostats in some cases. Sure you can put in a lower thermostat but the fans are just going to come on later and run for less time. You'll still end up running the car at the same temp.

Also with modern electronics the car runs differently at different temps so lowering the temps can put it into a cold start map and hurt performance.

yeah it sounds like on a cold day, with a colder thermostat, you could potentially stay in warm up mode forever. That would be terrible.

PARKER

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting points and article, thanks for posting it. I was just looking for every drop of performance I can squeeze out of this thing without dropping wods of cash.

Besides this damn thing makes my whole garage HOT after I park it. lol

08gtivw

Banned
Really? It makes the engine run around 175 instead of around 190. I know on motorcycles you just change out the coolant for something like water wetter and makes everything run cooler and better. So I was thinking about doing the same thing in my car, but I would have to change the thermostat to one that would allow the engine to run cooler. Otherwise it will just regulate it at the same temp. Correct?

lol

greddydc5r

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTI
I also was wonder what else can be done to keep the car cooler on HOT days and also driving the car hard!
I know a FMIC would help, also would chaging the rubber hoses??

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I also was wonder what else can be done to keep the car cooler on HOT days and also driving the car hard!
I know a FMIC would help, also would chaging the rubber hoses??

Neither of these things would help.

Maybe an oil cooler.