GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advantage of upgrading from MFD2 to MFD3?

macad

apple pixel pusher
Hi all, I have a MFD2 sat nav in my car with the AV aux in that I can play video in from my iPhone and a Parrot CK3000 Evo for the bluetooth for the phone as well – overall it works pretty well and I can by pass the video in motion thing easily enough.

My question is what extra would I get if I upgraded to a MFD3 apart from a nicer looking map on the Sat Nav?

Just wondering as the new maps are $250 for the MFD2 and it might be better to upgrade the whole Sat Nav.

TIA, paul

macad

apple pixel pusher
Thanks, unfortunately the MFD2 is not listed? That's a bit of a shame.

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
the biggest improvements are as follows.

you can use the sat nav at the same time as listning to a cd.
the nav runs off the internal HDD. not the dvd.

the RNS510 (MFD3) also has the ability to play music from the internal HDD,
you can load up the HDD with music, and never need to risk scratching your cd's again.

you can also play music straight from a SD card up to 32gb in size.

and it looks a lot more modern in design (imho)

Jason.

macad

apple pixel pusher
Thanks, the MFD2 will play CDs or Aux/iPod in while using the Nav but I agree with your point about looking more modern.

The other thing I was wondering is because it's a touch screen doesn't the screen get massively grubby - it's bad enough on an iPhone let alone something in the middle of the dash.

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
that's interesting.
i didnt know it could play cd's while using the nav.
i was under the impression that to use the nav, you must have the cd in the drive ?

anyway, i have the touch screen RCD510, and while it can get a little dirty from finger prints, it's really not that bad.
it's not like you're touching it all the time, and certainly not with very dirty fingers.
also, unlike the iphone's touch screen, the screens are a matt finish. not glossy so they don't show up finger prints as easily.

they (RNS510 / MFD3) are getting cheaper too.
to the point where im considering upgrading my RCD510 if i find one cheap enough.

one caveat though.....

depending upon what year car you have, and what firmware is installed on the RNS, you might have to get
a new gateway module fitted and coded, if you get the battery drain problem.

Jason.

Inlimbo

Passed Driver's Ed
It doesn't get anywhere near as grubby as an iPhone because it has a MATT screen. Still needs to be wiped down occasionally. Not sure if you've seen this, but there is a GB being organised at the moment for the latest "C" version of the 510.
http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?492-RNS-510-%28HW-version-C%29

If you decide to go down this track, let me know if you need an installer and I'll PM you the details of who installed mine.

macad

apple pixel pusher
that's interesting.
i didnt know it could play cd's while using the nav.
i was under the impression that to use the nav, you must have the cd in the drive ?

Okay, I see what you're saying - you have to have the CD in the drive but you can play from the 6 disk changer, radio or an iPod, so yeah, I suppose we're both right

If you decide to go down this track, let me know if you need an installer and I'll PM you the details of who installed mine.

Thanks for the offer but half the fun is installing it yourself!

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
True. I completely forgot about the stacker !

Jason.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
The RNS510 is clearly better and worth it if you're considering the upgrade. It can support things like MDI and Phone kits, but so can the RCD510. Can also charge iphones etc.

You may have to upgrade your Canbus Gateway depending how old your car is.

I didn't find the fingerprints an issue, and wasn't even too bad when i had a screen protector on (dust is worse), just keep a sunglass or cleaning cloth in the car.

Last edited:

macad

apple pixel pusher
My cars a 2006, would I have to update the Canbus Gateway?

merk

Ready to race!
Is there much involved in upgrading the gateway?

I'm assuming its just a copy old codes with VCDS, replace gateway, reupload old codes?

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
My cars a 2006, would I have to update the Canbus Gateway?

do you have access to VCDS ? it's the esiest way to find out if you have a suitable gateway.
in a 06 vehicle i would think it will need replacing. needs to be at minimum version L.

Is there much involved in upgrading the gateway?
I'm assuming its just a copy old codes with VCDS, replace gateway, reupload old codes?
yeah, it's kinda like that, but the newer gateways have differing set-ups.

some things are missing, some are in different places.
and if your getting them from europe (like i did) they are usually set by default to left hand drive.
(don't ask me how i know this !)

so you really just need to plug in the new gateway, and set it up manually how you liike.

Jason.

MLD13B

Sorry guys a little off topic but I have been told you can not use iPhone through the MDI to play music or charge the phone. Is this true? is there are way around this?

cheers.