GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

adjust FTP (set as highbeams) with HID lights

liquidonline

my 2.0 was never 2.sl0w
Car(s)
2007 BMP GTI 2dr
Hi all,

I vagcom'd my car so that the highbeams are on when the HID's are on. I live in an area along a river that seems to have alot of fog in the wee hours of the morning, and almost as often late at night, so I put in 2500k yellow high beam lights. Only when I did that did I notice that they are pointed considerably higher. Basically, the center of their lighting area is about 3-4 inches higher than the top cutoff of the HID's in highbeam mode. That's from about 3-4 feet from my garage door!.

Is there a way to adjust *only* the highbeams on cars equipped with xenon headlights? I read about being able to fix this on rabbits (the squirrelhunting lights, as mentioned on the vortex) but nothind definitive vis-a-vis the HID's.

If this is not possible, is it feasable to lower both headlights, and then using vag-com to readjust the xenons to their proper height?

Thanks

Tbugsy

...optimism of the will
As far as I know, there is no adjustment on the high beam. I hope I'm wrong.

But there is another question here: why not use fog lights? Or drop a hid kit into the fog lights (3000k maybe) and run those? A lot of forum members are doing that and highly recommend it.

good luck :smile:

liquidonline

my 2.0 was never 2.sl0w
Car(s)
2007 BMP GTI 2dr
As far as I know, there is no adjustment on the high beam. I hope I'm wrong.

But there is another question here: why not use fog lights? Or drop a hid kit into the fog lights (3000k maybe) and run those? A lot of forum members are doing that and highly recommend it.

good luck :smile:

Well, it's been a while since I was on the forums here... just an update as an FYI to all wondering how the front lighting on GTI's is adjustable.

I used those white hex (screws?) to adjust the height level. I can confirm that on my GTI at least, this lowers/raises the entire unit, and not just highbeams or just low beams.

I tried lowering the housing so that the high beams could point to a more reasonable level. I lowered them what I'd like to think was an excessive amount, and they were still a little high ?!?!?.

I haven't got a vag-com, but i have someone who can help me out with that to reposition the HID's. With that said, do you guys know if the vag-com control for HID level is just for the cutoff, or does it somehow realign the entire beam? I've lowered them so much that I find that even when the high beams are on, the HID's now point quite low...

Anyone else have any idea how to fix this? I know it's not crucial or anything, but since I already took the trouble to get the 2500k high beam bulbs and that they're enabled, I'd try what I can to make them work!

BTW, my dealership said that when they calibrate the HID's all they can do is bring them back to the factory reference point. Is this true?

liquidonline

my 2.0 was never 2.sl0w
Car(s)
2007 BMP GTI 2dr
small update... i was snooping around under the hood trying to get a glimpse inside the headlight housing and snapped this:

Anyone know if that highlighted screw would actually be repositioning the FTP beam?