GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adding a custom resonator to a 42dd downpipe >

plac

GTI Master
i never thought i would go this direction.. but i think i like the toned setup more. this normal resonator is very dull. i decided a perfect explanation for the sound. The 42dd resonated downpipe on stock catback is louder than stock, sure. But all it does is magnify the oem sound. It adds no flavor to it. And it sounds a bit worse, as theres just too much air going thru the stock catback/muffler at that point. The stock catback sounds more smooth without an aftermarket downpipe installed. The Magnaflow downpipe adds that new tone which really spices up the stock catback a bit, and gives it something interesting. The Magnaflow setup also feels faster, but thats just the illusion of better tone. I think I will get the Magna welded up in place of those clamps and get it reinstalled soon.

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Wait I'm confused. What are you saying?

plac

GTI Master
Wait I'm confused. What are you saying?

i never thought i would go this direction.. but i think i like the toned setup more. this normal resonator is very dull. i decided a perfect explanation for the sound. The 42dd resonated downpipe on stock catback is louder than stock, sure. But all it does is magnify the oem sound. It adds no flavor to it. And it sounds a bit worse, as theres just too much air going thru the stock catback/muffler at that point. The stock catback sounds more smooth without an aftermarket downpipe installed. The Magnaflow downpipe adds that new tone which really spices up the stock catback a bit, and gives it something interesting. The Magnaflow setup also feels faster, but thats just the illusion of better tone. I think I will get the Magna welded up in place of those clamps and get it reinstalled soon.

plac

GTI Master
I got the Magnaflow kit back in, so much happier. It is hard to fathom how much a slightly different resonator can change the sound of your car. It has the killer tone back, sort of like when you add a cat back to your car. It had "no" tone with the 42dd stocker. If you want the absolute quietest ever, go with the 42dd resonated downpipe.

My own custom also fits that front bracket better, and doesnt pull on the red nubs at all.

GodSquadMandrake

Yeah I've always been a fan of the Magnaflow resonator sound. I don't know if it's the packing, or the perforation but it sounds GOOD. I hoped that's what you were trying to say. But you're keeping the stock suitcase muffler? You're missing out on all the extra loudness!

plac

GTI Master
. But you're keeping the stock suitcase muffler? You're missing out on all the extra loudness!

yes, i wouldnt touch the cat back. i like it quiet. so now its quiet, but has a nice smooth tone that sounds nothing like stock. I dont want it any louder.

GodSquadMandrake

^
Loud pipes save lives. It's good for the environment too, scares away deer lol

plac

GTI Master
well those are old pics anyway. i reinstalled it and its a lot better now.

but flipping it would do nothing. the red nubs are on the same plane as the bolts that hold the bracket, so they would not change height at all.

plac

GTI Master
i hate how you get used to power so quick. the excitement has already worn off and it doesnt seem fast anymore.

plac

GTI Master
I thought the raspy noise under throttle was a leak.. so i checked it all out today with the car idling. lifted the car, used the hose in ear technique and checked every point. no leaks, not even the sleeve clamp. (I used a brand new one). I know you might not hear some leaks unless under pressure, but with a hose to the points and in your ear, you would hear any air leak at all. So, i think the noise is truly just the noise the muffler makes when being presented with more air than it was designed for. I seem to have no leaks at all.

ScottyMKVI

Ready to race!
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with the sound on the stock cat-back. I have been pulling my hair out trying to diagnose a leak and have to just come to terms with it being normal... Not a fan of it, really.

plac

GTI Master
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with the sound on the stock cat-back. I have been pulling my hair out trying to diagnose a leak and have to just come to terms with it being normal... Not a fan of it, really.

i can imagine. a downpipe on stock catback sounds.. well, it has no sound. just blahhhh into the muffler sounding like crap. but it is a very viable alternative for everyone wanting the quietest possible. I mean I wouldnt say it sounds worse than stock.. at least not much worse. but this resonator i added at least brings some flavor to the tone a bit.. but it does not get rid of that blahhh that sounds bad. it just adds some nice tone to fight with it. simple solution is buy a catback, but people like me dont want a loud catback.

GodSquadMandrake

I've noticed that when you have a large empty muffler like the suitcase mufflers, or a gutted cat that you get a sound like air rushing or what can sound like a leak. I think it just has to do with the sound of air filling the muffler.

If you want something pretty quiet but still high performance spin tech mufflers are some of the quietest out there. Extremely compact too. I think the Borla XR-1 is quiet for a resonator too, put one of those on there and it's quiet but throaty.

plac

GTI Master
I've noticed that when you have a large empty muffler like the suitcase mufflers, or a gutted cat that you get a sound like air rushing or what can sound like a leak. I think it just has to do with the sound of air filling the muffler.

If you want something pretty quiet but still high performance spin tech mufflers are some of the quietest out there. Extremely compact too. I think the Borla XR-1 is quiet for a resonator too, put one of those on there and it's quiet but throaty.

that sounds like a pretty good description of the sound. i hate to waste any money on making it louder tho, cuz i will just end up taking it off later.

KUGTI

Ready to race!
I really need to get a small resonator on mine, its just a straight 3" pipe all the way to the tailpipe right now and its loud as ****. I don't mind the noise but right when I hit 3k it starts to get a little raspy until about 4100 rpm.