GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Accidental BOV

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Installed a Neuspeed P-Flow intake and CTS turbo muffler delete the other day. I took the car for a spin after the install and immediately noticed the extra intake noise. What I did not expect was a psssssst sound when I let go of the throttle which resembles a BOV noise. At first, I was like cool. Not expected but I like it. Then I started thinking some more. The pssssst BOV like sound can’t be coming from the new intake. Logic says that if its not the intake, it must come from the other new item. The turbo muffler delete. But the turbo muffler delete actually removes the openings found in the stock turbo muffler. So that means I have a poor seal or a leak somewhere. Then I immediately knew what my mistake was.

When I took the stock turbo muffler off, I saw that there was a rubber o-ring sitting on the flange. So I figured, I should put it on the turbo muffler delete flange. WRONG! After the install, I realized that the turbo muffler delete has its own o-ring and that the longer turbo muffler delete seals at the end of the adapter and not at the flange like the shorter stock turbo muffler. By placing the much larger diameter stock o-ring on the turbo muffler delete flange, it seated improperly and I actually created a poor seal between the turbo muffler delete and the turbo outlet thus creating an accidental blow off valve.

On the left is the stock turbo muffler. You can see a black o-ring on the underside of the flange in the middle. That is the stock o-ring I took off and place on the turbo muffler delete. On the right is the CTS turbo muffler delete. The o-ring is on the very bottom. My mistake is putting the larger stock o-ring on the turbo muffler delete flange.

You can see in this photo that when installed, the stock o-ring is actually hanging out past the flange and the bottom bolt.

Now I haven’t noticed any decrease in power nor did the car throw any errors. In theory, my boost level should be lower because I have a leak in the system. But I guess its so minimal that I’m not noticing any drop in power. But the leak is enough where the back pressure can escape when I let off the throttle to create the BOV pssssssst sound. In the end. I’ve decided to let it be and enjoy the BOV sound until I have time to go back in there and remove the stock o-ring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Very interesting post. I too installed a CTS TMD a few mos. ago and goofed by leaving the stock o-ring on the outer flange installed. I actually greased it so it would stay in the groove so mine isn't hanging out like yours. My opinion is that if properly installed, it is fine and is sealed. My TMD is flush against the turbo so I don't *think* I have an issue. Nothing odd about my boost numbers either so I don't think I'm having a boost leak. Their instructions say "there is no need to re-use the stock o-ring" however, that doesn't say "don't re-use it". In your case I would re-install it OR just loosen the bolts, cut it, and pull it out. Note that other TMDs of the same design re-use the outer o-ring (ECS). I don't think that is preventing the new TMD's rear o-ring from sealing properly.

On to your BOV sound. What you are hearing, in my opinion, is 100% related to your short-ram open intake. When you let off the throttle the DV opens allowing boost pressure to escape, it flows to the low-pressure side of the turbo through a port in the turbo housing. Previously that noise was muffled through the stock intake where it had to travel out through the hose, the filter, and the air duct. Now, you have just cut the travel distance and path for those sound waves and hear them. I have the same noise with my stock intake that I modified with a silicone hose, turbo inlet pipe, high-flow filter, and cutting out the d. side of the air duct. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it which doesn't require that I pull that #$%# TMD back out..hahahahah

I think it's normal but I'd fix that o-ring hanging out for sure. Here's my "BOV" noise I get now with all the intake mods. The TMD just gets more whiiiisssshhhhhh noise under boost.

https://youtu.be/XUsKjBe3oNA

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Correction, it does actually say "don't reuse stock o-ring" so maybe I'll re-do mine and remove - it's such a PITA and I'm doing an IS20 swap later this year maybe I'll just wait until then! I really think even with the stock o-ring in it's not creating enough gap (must be miniscule) in the back for the other rear-mounted o-ring to not seat tightly which is where the boost leak would occur.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Good to know. Mine didn’t come with instructions so I didn’t know to keep it on or not. I feel the same way. It’s such a PITA to get to it. Although I’m sure the second time will be a lot easier. Sine I’m not having any issues, I’m in no rush to remove it either.haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Good to know. Mine didn’t come with instructions so I didn’t know to keep it on or not. I feel the same way. It’s such a PITA to get to it. Although I’m sure the second time will be a lot easier. Sine I’m not having any issues, I’m in no rush to remove it either.haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just can't imagine the seal at the base isn't tight when the top flange of the delete looks flush against the turbo outlet housing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk