GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About VCDS.

iSuckAtThis

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick question about using VCDS.
I have very little knowledge about this, tried to do some research but couldn't find what I was looking for.
If I wanted to code something say for example, activating the OEM rear view camera on an aftermarket HU ( RCD330). Would it work if I was to buy any cable that connects the car to a laptop, and download the free vcds software? Or do I have to buy these expensive ross-tech cables with the software to work?

This is the cable I'm thinking of buying:

https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/usb-inte...c-auto-car-scanner-scan-tool-cable-6927194/i/

And this is the software ( this is free, isn't it? )

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.php

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I can't tell if you can or not.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html The code modules are what you're looking for. It says Yes for Code Modules, but No for Code Slave Modules, and I'm not sure if you need the Code Slave Modules for what you're doing or not.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
But isn't the unregistered version of vcds lite free?

I was looking at it wrong, see my edit above. Looks like the registered version unlocks some extra things with vcds lite, but in your case it's either going to work with the unregistered version or not at all. I just don't know enough about it to know if you need the slave module or not.

Last edited:

iSuckAtThis

Passed Driver's Ed
I was looking at it wrong, see my edit above. Looks like the registered version unlocks some extra things with vcds lite, but in your case it's either going to work with the unregistered version or not at all. I just don't know enough about it to know if you need the slave module or not.

Oh I see.
What a pickle. :mad0259:
What do you recommend me doing?

Last edited:

Madhav

Passed Driver's Ed
There are alternatives these days such as the the vas 5054a with the odis software, also the obdeleven is there. Much much cheaper.

I have no personal experience with these however I came across them in my search to find an alternaive to paying $2000 for a DSG flash. Apparently it is possible to buy the files for $500 and then load and flash the DSG yourself. I watched a few YouTube tutorials etc and it doesn't look too complex for someone with a bit of patience.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
The free software should work with a 3rd party cable, but VCDS lite is extremely limited in what it can do, even if you pay the $99 to register it.

They recently released a new cable version with 3 licenses for $200, that's probably the best way to go.

iSuckAtThis

Passed Driver's Ed
The free software should work with a 3rd party cable, but VCDS lite is extremely limited in what it can do, even if you pay the $99 to register it.

They recently released a new cable version with 3 licenses for $200, that's probably the best way to go.

Honestly, i'm finding it difficult to justify paying 100-200$ for a simple coding to activate the camera function.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Honestly, i'm finding it difficult to justify paying 100-200$ for a simple coding to activate the camera function.

That's totally reasonable. But if there's no one in your area that has VCDS, the other option is to pay your dealer whatever they charge to do it.

iSuckAtThis

Passed Driver's Ed
That's totally reasonable. But if there's no one in your area that has VCDS, the other option is to pay your dealer whatever they charge to do it.

Would the dealer actually do this? I mean would they do the coding for something that is not OEM?

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
They have the capability; I've had VCDS mods done at a dealer before. I guess it depends on the shop.