GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About to Purchase a R32

speednguyen

Ready to race!
Hey guys, i am in the market to buy 08 R32. Since last week i've just decided to purchase one. I own a 09 Mazdaspeed3 GT and i'm growing tired of Fail Wheel Drive. I enjoy my speed3 alot, and she's fun to drive but i'm looking to upgrade myself in class. Mainly interior upgrade and AWD is what i look for. Originally the R32 was what i had hoped to buy before the speed3 but was out of my price range. But now looking in the market i've found some good deals on some.
i found a few with low mileage ( 28k and 35k ) and both looks and drives very smoothly. i have a couple of questions though. How reliable is the R32 and is there anything i should be worried about? I hear VW/Audi has alot of electrical problems that occurs. Does this also include the R32?
Also, the main one i am interested in is the one with 28k miles only. It is also equipped with Navigation and their asking price is 22,980 + TTL. He is offering me $17,000 for my speed which just hit 37k. What do ya guys think? And thanks in advance if i asked too many questions

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
While I have a GTI, I'll tell you what I know. The R sounds MUCH better, is probably more fun to drive (Although not much more than an MS3), looks better, and you'll get more compliments. I've met some R owners before who have had MAJOR constant issues with their cars. This isn't to say that it has never happened to a MS3 owner though. The VR6 engine is widely used and is a pretty solid engine. Keep up with the car and don't beat the snot out of it and you SHOULD have many..many..reliable miles. I think it's a good swap. Just remember, with AWD you've got more moving parts which is prone to more problems. VW's are NEVER cheap to fix either.

gottaluvvw

Ready to race!
i'm in fort worth, too...several of us R drivers around here and in dallas...welcome

i've got 39,500 on mine...all trouble free

the only major issue with the R's is the balky DSG, which is now under recall and extended warranty until 100k miles / 10 years...i had my mechatronic replaced at 30k even though i didn't think i had problems...after i got the new mechatronic though i will say that it did shift a lot smoother (especially when slowing down)

seems like a good price for the R...where is it and what's it's number, color, etc?

jshish23

n00b
Car(s)
'08 R32
Sounds like a great deal! Go for it.

Hoppo84

Back in Black
Car(s)
R32
I have just bought an 07 R32. and i'm up for a new steering rack which is setting me back AUS$2500. (this includes the new harnes so that the 'R' rack is compatable with R32 setup, steering rack and labour)

apparently volkswagon had an engineering design flaw with the steering racks for the 07 models. i don't understand the exact problem, but after the 07 models, they fixed the issue. i'm now getting a 'R' steering rack installed to replace my old R32 rack.

dont do what i did when you test drive one, if you feel a clicking sound in the steering when on full lock, that means you need a new steering rack. i didn't really think much of it at the time. but mine has gotten progressivly worse since i go it. and now it's to a point where it's a factor of my own safety that i get it fixed.

good luck! and listen for any clicking sounds in the steering.:smile:

astonius

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 R32
Just bought mine Monday with 24k miles for almost the exact same price (22,988). I'm completely enamoured with it. Go for it, you won't regret it, but you will want to change the head unit if you use an iPod. Depending on when it was bought it probably still has a good bit of warranty left. 4yr/50k miles b2b, 5yr/60k miles power train, 10yr/100k miles DSG, and 12yr rust.

speednguyen

Ready to race!
The color is Blue. Number 412/5000. I didn't hear any clicking noise, but I did notice kinda harsh or more like the tranny rushing me to slow down faster than I want while slowing down. Normal?

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
Honestly, if you're not having problems with your MS3, I would stick with that.

(Coming from someone who likes the R32, and has owned a MkV GTI for the last 5 years)

speednguyen

Ready to race!
Honestly, if you're not having problems with your MS3, I would stick with that.

(Coming from someone who likes the R32, and has owned a MkV GTI for the last 5 years)

Is it that bad on problems? I'm just growing tired of FWD and ready to go automatic again. I also own a 98 Honda civic which is my DD so I won't or at least I hope I won't drive her too much haha

huy

Retired Racer
your impressions sounds normal for the DSG in S, but not D. regardless i dont like the DSG programming, but that can be changed. get the car already, stop worrying. any car can have issues.

speednguyen

Ready to race!
your impressions sounds normal for the DSG in S, but not D. regardless i dont like the DSG programming, but that can be changed. get the car already, stop worrying. any car can have issues.

I like your thinking lol. I've already made up my mind, just wanted some peace at mind

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
Is it that bad on problems? I'm just growing tired of FWD and ready to go automatic again. I also own a 98 Honda civic which is my DD so I won't or at least I hope I won't drive her too much haha

If you have a reliable daily, get something fun. Get an old porsche, an S2000, something. An R32 isn't going to do it for you as the bonkers weekend car.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
OP: I have 96,000 miles on my .:R32 and it's been practically bulletproof. Only issues to date were the 2 recalls (fuel evap and DSG, make sure both were done to the car you buy) a leaky Haldex PTO (thanks speedwurst), and 1 cruise control issue.

Don't listen to people who don't even own/drive an R32 on here (no offense Rabbit) and just go test drive them. See what YOU like and go with it :wink:. People on these forums use their .:Rs for everything from a commuter car to Autocross to dedicated track duty. They can and will do it all well with just some minor tweaks. If you like the feel then go for it; it will be as reliable as they come as long as you keep up with maintenance :thumbsup:

Oh; and I DD my .:R32 125+ miles a day in D.C... Other than Fuel Economy; there is no better daily commuter than an .:R, plain and simple. Trust me; when you get it your 98 Honda Civic will quickly become your "extra" car and you'll only want to drive the .:R :biggrin:

Last edited:

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
I'm just giving the guy the other side of the coin. I may not own one, but I was very close to trading my gti in for one years ago. Couldn't do it, it wasn't enough of an upgrade. Saying that, I still really like the car - but I'd be willing to bet that it would get real underwhelming, real fast after the op has been used to an ms3.

That's not a knock on the car -- it's because of what he is replacing in favor of it. If he were trading in a boring jetta or camry, then my response would be different.