GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About to buy an '09 MkV GTI what should I look out for?

Any tips? What to look for that might be falling apart from a 7yr old car? Engine, interior, yada, yada, yada...how to spot what may be out of the ordinary? Any gremlins to expect with this particular model GTI as it gets older? Shit like that.

Thanks

(first post on this forum)

Edit: it's a 4 door DSG automatic
Edit 2: it has 93k miles
Edit 3: the key fob's unlock function only half works. Lock works. Trunk. Alarm. But not the Unlock. The cars lights will flash, telling me it's open but it doesn't actually unlock. How would I or what needs to be fixed to correct that? I can use this info to help lower the price.

Sent from iOS ᕙ(`⌒´メ)ᕗ 凸(⇀‸↼‶)凸

Last edited:

Manuelrios509

Passed Driver's Ed
Ask if they've had the timing chain tensioner and the water pump, also ask when was the last time they decarbonized the intake valves

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Great cars, the issues above are not deal breakers. ABS issue is common but a good mechanic can swap in reliable mk6 parts.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
✯GTAyePunk✰ ಠ_ರೃ;3815160 said:
What typically goes wrong with the ABS system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABS Module/Pump fails causing you to lose ABS function and christmas trees' your gauges. $2000 fix at dealer or $100 yourself with used and vcds

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
✯GTAyePunk✰ ಠ_ರೃ;3815057 said:
Can you elaborate on that a little bit, how would I go about doing that? Is it just an extension of the warranty? I've never heard of a warranty just for the intake manifold...

The intake manifold runner length is mechanically adjustable by an internal flap driven by an actuator motor. I think there are two failure modes, one related to the actuator mechanism itself, and another to the switch which determines the flap position. VW doesn't sell individual parts, just the whole manifold. Since they had so many problems, the warranty was extended to (I believe) 120,000 miles. I had mine replaced by a VW dealer (for free) at just under 100K miles.

The manifold part itself is not especially expensive, but replacement is a putzy job, requiring some labor time.

Unfortunately, another downside of all direct injection engines is carbon build-up on backs of the intake valves - which may eventually cause a check engine light error (misfire) code. So when the intake manifold is off, it's logical to also clean the carbon deposits ..... But VW does NOT include additional labor hours in the warranty for valve cleaning. So you might want to "negotiate" with your dealer to pay for a bit of extra labor time and also have the valves cleaned. Since the manifold is already off, it shouldn't be too much additional cost.

The intake manifold runner length is mechanically adjustable by an internal flap driven by an actuator motor. I think there are two failure modes, one related to the actuator mechanism itself, and another to the switch which determines the flap position. VW doesn't sell individual parts, just the whole manifold. Since they had so many problems, the warranty was extended to (I believe) 120,000 miles. I had mine replaced by a VW dealer (for free) at just under 100K miles.

The manifold part itself is not especially expensive, but replacement is a putzy job, requiring some labor time.

Unfortunately, another downside of all direct injection engines is carbon build-up on backs of the intake valves - which may eventually cause a check engine light error (misfire) code. So when the intake manifold is off, it's logical to also clean the carbon deposits ..... But VW does NOT include additional labor hours in the warranty for valve cleaning. So you might want to "negotiate" with your dealer to pay for a bit of extra labor time and also have the valves cleaned. Since the manifold is already off, it shouldn't be too much additional cost.

Cool. I'll try to remember this later down the line. I'm still waiting for the underwriters to get back to me on whether they've approved me or not for this mini loan...(bitting nails)
(;☉_☉)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk