GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A&L Downpipe review..plus questions

07TurboGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed the A&L 3" catted downpipe on my 07 FSI about a week and a half ago so I figured I'd make a post about it in case other people go this route.

Overall, a pretty nice piece. Clean welds, fittment was on point no real issues installing...pretty straight forward, remove your old DP put this one in. The rear O2 was pretty stuck but we just heated it a little and with enough force it came out.

Sound: A little more audible at idle and a nice sort of girgle in the lower RPM's but to me it gets a little rapy almost the "bees in a can" type sound that some people would get when using non-lined flex sections in my boosted Maxima days in the upper RPMs under heavy load. No clue if that is a factor with the VW's.

Power: I feel like it improved the mid-high rev ranges just like other people have reported. Honestly though, it wasn't as drastic of a change as I expected...nice change but not a crazy difference like some other people made it out to be. I do now notice a very slight lower RPM loss. Perviously, around 2,500 RPMs there would be that nice turbo spike and hard pull then things would taper off in the higher revs. Now, that spike is smoothed out and its more of a linear power band now.

Questions/ other comments: There is no hanger for the DP with this set up. You do not reuse your stock hanger either because it's welded to the stock DP. This to me is not a good solution. I've noticed some sort of rattling sound only on start-up when the car is cool and some additional vibration type rattle in the lower revs when the exhaust is cold. I can only imagine this sound will be amplified in the cold winter months if nothing is done. On that note, I've scheduled an appointment to have a shop weld in a hanger. Hopefully this solves those sounds on start up because the DP should be more stable with less chance to rub against other metals under the car.
Also where the DP meets the stock cat-back to me is sort of lame too. The DP now just "mates" up to the stock cat-back..as in there is no overlapping of the pipes or solid exhaust flanges that I've seen with some other brands. All you do is mate the two pipes and re-use your stock copper colored exhaust sleeve to go around the two pipes and then use the provided exhaust clamp to clamp the two pipes where they mate up.

In conclusion, a solid piece that could use a little bit of work in my humble opinion. Hopefully the shop I'm taking it to can do something to solve both of my concerns with the hanger and the way the two pipes just mate up. The fact that I even have to do this after spending money on the DP is depressing though. My mods are GIAC flash and this downpipe. A&L provided me a spacer for the second O2 and I've driven a few hundred miles so far with no codes at all. Sorry for the long post but hopefully it's helpful!

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
i just installd mine a few days ago, the fitment was right one, an i think it sounds pretty good,i mean not a drastic change in sound, but there is still some increased volume, which is welcomed. Power wise, well, i already had the stg 2 flash, so now im letting the car adapt to the DP being installed vice the stock one. im still letting it adapt to this day, i have only driven like 30 miles on it, most in round town scooting an no real opening up yet, but im bout to go do that hear shortly. now, i dont have hangars euther, however i have no noises or vibrations, and from the lil bit that i have gotten on it, i still havent noticed anything loose. you may want to go over an check all the bolts and fittings. its always a good idea to do this anyway when installin something new to make sure it doesnt rattle loose...anyway, solid piece imo, an tho i bought mine used. an battled some rusty bolts, it is still a good piece...

Are you stage 2 yet???

07TurboGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
cool glad you like it, I'm enjoying mine too. Did you do the install yourself? If so, did you re-use your stock copper colored exhaust sleeve that connects the rear of the DP to the stock catback? I need to find a better solution for this, I just dont think its creating a solid seal.

I have GIAC software so there is no "Stage 2" for a larger downpipe but I have driven a few hundred miles so it's supposed to adapt.

Does anyone else think its a bad idea not to have a hanger on the DP? Wouldnt this cause extra stress upstream at the turbo?

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
i just used the clamp that A&L provided with the dp to hook up to the stock exhaust. sealed up very nicely. i have no exhaust leaks, lol...