GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printer & C.A.D. Thread

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I use Prusa Slicer exclusively now. I preferred it over Cura. Orca is supposed to be everything that’s great about Prusa slicer plus more. I haven’t tried it yet but when I’m ready to explore a new slicer it will be that one.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
how do i learn cad

YouTube.

If you’re new maybe start with Tinkercad. It’s free and good for people who are not familiar with CAD. If you are familiar with it then either Fusion360, Onshape or FreeCAD to name a few.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I jumped right into fusion 360. There are step by step youtube tutorials where they design a simple shape and you follow along with them. Best way to learn.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
If you’re serious about it skip Tinkercad and learn real CAD. It’s much easier to make stuff.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Uploaded some designs on thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/yakboyslim/designs

Foglight duct isnt perfect yet, but its up https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6442128
Airbox should be good if anyone has the BMS intake https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6442102
Gas Pedal Spacer https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6442069
and exhaust tunnel spacers if anyone is running the OEM tunnel cover and has a muffler in the way (like Borla) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6231246

Due to the nicheness of these designs I figure no way to charge for them, but if you use them consider tossing a paypal donation to help me justify the 3d printing and the VW, lol.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Finally finished my window side deflectors. Did not like CJM's design so I made my own. After "finishing" it I realized that theirs sits on top of the glass. Mine sits on the rubber window trim. Not sure if it makes any difference.
Highly recommend using temperature resistant filament (I used ABS) so it won't warp in the sun. I used Orca Slicer to print, as they have a setting that lets you print overhangs by turning on the cooling fan. If anyone wants a set shoot me a PM. I have a couple set aside.
0.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

1.1.jpg

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Printed the deflectors, for both the GTI and the Alltrack.
1000005786.jpg

Also designed and printed some taller wickers for my Verus hood vents. I'll do some tuft testing... Maybe. I know the Verus supplied ones are too small. Put some jagged edges in it so it's basically F1 aero
1000005783.jpg
1000005784.jpg

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Winter needs to end before my car looks like a 3d printed f1 car.

My CFD (which is crude and I would never post actually numbers) was pointing to actual benefits from a hatch spoiler extension... But only if you actually have a vertical gurney flap. So printing this extension for my aerofabb extension.
1000005796.jpg
1000005795.jpg
1000005794.jpg

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
You printing it in ABS or something stronger?

I can't print in ABS yet (haven't really tried) so this will be in PETG. I've had good results with the Inland PETG+ so far though, and since I am printing my own there's no sweat if they don't last forever.

In the picture is just a terrible gray PLA I have for prototyping, but I'm printing in black PETG right now.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I can't print in ABS yet (haven't really tried) so this will be in PETG. I've had good results with the Inland PETG+ so far though, and since I am printing my own there's no sweat if they don't last forever.

In the picture is just a terrible gray PLA I have for prototyping, but I'm printing in black PETG right now.
Print in PLA, get some carbon fiber fabric and the proper epoxy, laminate over the prototype in CF and it will be stronger, look better, and be one piece rather than the multiples you've got now. You also have the benefit of being able to leave behind the layer lines so the epoxy can build a mechanical lock on the part. You might be able to get away with the black PETG as long as you don't sand layer lines and let the epoxy grab that way. Epoxy REALLY likes to bite into PLA. It doesn't love PETG/ABS quite as much.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Print in PLA, get some carbon fiber fabric and the proper epoxy, laminate over the prototype in CF and it will be stronger, look better, and be one piece rather than the multiples you've got now. You also have the benefit of being able to leave behind the layer lines so the epoxy can build a mechanical lock on the part. You might be able to get away with the black PETG as long as you don't sand layer lines and let the epoxy grab that way. Epoxy REALLY likes to bite into PLA. It doesn't love PETG/ABS quite as much.
I think that is the eventual plan, for now I want to test with and without the extension (not that I suspect I have anyway to tell a real difference). Even once this is printed in PETG I dont suspect this will be the last version as I'm sure something after starting at it a lot I will find an aesthetic revision I want to do. Also trying to come up with a way to make it removable, but not sure if that will ever come to fruition.

I have a bunch of parts I want to do in carbon fiber skin too but haven't yet bitten the bullet and bought the CF supplies. (Dive planes come to mind)

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Spoiler extension extension is done for now. I'll run it in the raw PETG-CF for awhile, maybe skin it in the future, but for now I'm happy with it.
1000002510.jpg
1000002509.jpg
1000002511.jpg

Attachments

• 1000002513.jpg
    1000002513.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 76