GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printer & C.A.D. Thread

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Glad everyone was okay, still a bummer to have to deal with.

ERRF was really cool. I saw CHEP and Joseph sharing lunch together. The 3D Printing Nerd was filming a shorts
Video behind me at one point. Talked with a few of the vendors and of course touched all the cool stuff they had. Talked with an engineer and I think he is also the CEO of Slice. Very nice stuff they are making. Of course the Prusa booth had lots of school stuff. There was a mag-rail printer that looks promising for future printers. No belts or pulleys and super high speeds.

Some pics:

IMG_1053.jpeg

Didn’t realize how big battle bots were!! This is Doomba that fights in Vegas.

IMG_1060.jpeg

Chocolate printer. Took it to show my kids which of course wanted one. I can see it being super helpful for cake decorators.

IMG_1057.jpeg

My step dad is a great guitar player and has had hundreds of guitars. Showed him this one and now he wants to play it.

IMG_1054.jpeg

Overall great experience and awesome event. Will definitely return.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Man... I'm sorry to hear that it was a more expensive trip than what you planned for but glad to hear y'all are ok. I remember when my dad hit a buck in his 74 T-bird. Even on an all metal car, it was surprising the amount of damage an animal can do.

The show looks like it was a real blast though.
I used to detail cars maybe 20 years ago at a Chevy dealer in Montana, saw a 2500 duramax that schwacked a moose.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Glad everyone was okay, still a bummer to have to deal with.

ERRF was really cool. I saw CHEP and Joseph sharing lunch together. The 3D Printing Nerd was filming a shorts
Video behind me at one point. Talked with a few of the vendors and of course touched all the cool stuff they had. Talked with an engineer and I think he is also the CEO of Slice. Very nice stuff they are making. Of course the Prusa booth had lots of school stuff. There was a mag-rail printer that looks promising for future printers. No belts or pulleys and super high speeds.

Some pics:

View attachment 293771

Didn’t realize how big battle bots were!! This is Doomba that fights in Vegas.

View attachment 293772

Chocolate printer. Took it to show my kids which of course wanted one. I can see it being super helpful for cake decorators.

View attachment 293773

My step dad is a great guitar player and has had hundreds of guitars. Showed him this one and now he wants to play it.

View attachment 293774

Overall great experience and awesome event. Will definitely return.
I didn’t see CHEP there. I don’t know how I missed him.

The Peopoly printer. It was only doing print moves because it got damaged in shipping. I can’t imagine it will be cheap since all the magnets were laid by hand.

HueForge was pretty prominent as well. Everyone had some version of 3D painting. Or it seemed that way.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I didn’t see CHEP there. I don’t know how I missed him.

The Peopoly printer. It was only doing print moves because it got damaged in shipping. I can’t imagine it will be cheap since all the magnets were laid by hand.

HueForge was pretty prominent as well. Everyone had some version of 3D painting. Or it seemed that way.

Not cheap. Pre order price was $1400. Retail will be $2000. They claim accuracy down to 3 micron, which is impressive.

Yeah I had never heard of HueForge before the event but everyone did seem to have a painting that they did.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I need to see if there are any maker shows in Texas.

Also, I wanted to share what I've been making to give away to the kids for Halloween. I'm aiming for about 100 jack-o-lanterns and I'm currently at 65. Going to also print witches hats for half of them and glue them on.

The skulls are all my failed prints thrown into silicone molds. They came out better than I expected. Still need to play with temp and length of time in the toaster oven but now I know what to do with my failed prints. Figured I can do this every year and give them to all the kiddos that come by on Halloween. We have a few kids that can't eat candy or can't have that much so I figured this would be a cool non-candy treat.

I'm thinking of turning one of medium skulls into a shift knob for my beetle as these are pretty dense and can probably take a threaded insert.

Last edited:

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I need to see if there are any maker shows in Texas.

Also, I wanted to share what I've been making to give away to the kids for Halloween. I'm aiming for about 100 jack-o-lanterns and I'm currently at 65. Going to also print witches hats for half of them and glue them on.

The skulls are all my failed prints thrown into silicone molds. They came out better than I expected. Still need to play with temp and length of time in the toaster oven but now I know what to do with my failed prints. Figured I can do this every year and give them to all the kiddos that come by on Halloween. We have a few kids that can't eat candy or can't have that much so I figured this would be a cool non-candy treat.

I'm thinking of turning one of medium skulls into a shift knob for my beetle as these are pretty dense and can probably take a threaded insert.

What a cool idea!

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Water heater drain knob broke. Made a new one. Made some plugs for square stock at work. Besides the occasional Etsy order haven’t been printing much

IMG_1202.jpeg

IMG_1212.jpeg

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
How’s everyone’s 3D printing going?

Saw an advertisement for this product and thought it was cool.

https://www.shapertools.com/en-us/trace

You can draw an object, take a picture and it will create a 2D vector file (to scale). I’m thinking for gaskets or logos/letters it would be handy. Might buy one after Xmas and try it out. It’s advertised more for wood workers and laser cutters.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Been printing these for my sister-in-law and my two brother-in-laws. It's a dice tower for DnD that can also hold your soda/beer can. The bottom part (coaster) comes off. This filament color brings out the layer lines but it doesn't look bad in person. Still have two more to go. Not too bad for an original Ender 3 with an SKR mini E3 and a TFT.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Wanted less wind buffetting when driving with the windows down. Window deflectors are an option but Im cheap. Saw these by CJM Industries and figured I could TinkerCAD something up.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Need to trim the bottom portion as it'll hit the mirror when it folds. Need to try it at speed.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Nice! They turned out good.

ABS?

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Nice! They turned out good.

ABS?
Yea. V2.0 with a flat part so the mirror can fold. Sanded and will spray some flat black. Hard to say if it does anything; at 50mph+ does not seem to have much of an affect.

3.jpg
4.jpg

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Willing to share the STL with the group?
Will test fit this and I'll post it up.

*edit* Needs some fine tuning. Bottom peak hits the mirror when folded.

Attachments

• IMG_0474.jpeg
    IMG_0474.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
What's everyone using for a slicer? I've been using cura since day 1. I know Prusa slicer is pretty popular and I've been hearing a lot about orca slicer lately.