GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Rabbit Strut/Shock Options 1” Drop?

F1fletch

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Rabbit GTI
Hi guys
I am having a hard time finding Koni Reds or Yellows for the Mk 7/7.5. They seem to be pushing the FSD, but these won’t work with lowering springs.

Frankly the stock 19 GTI strut shock combo rides quite stiff but the handling is fantastic (just wish it was .75 lower). Anyway, really don’t want to ruin the overall great handling, I have used Koni Sports in the past and found them to offer a taut but refined ride. Bilsteins seem on the very stiff side.

I need something very robust because #SFBAYAREAROADS are terrible......

P.S who is making .75 drop springs?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Neuspeed and Eibach have a spring kit that lowers about one inch. I believe the VW Drivers Gear springs also lowers about an inch.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I run eibach pro kit with Koni yellows. Love it
https://m.tirerack.com/suspension/s...autoModel=Golf+GTI&autoYear=2019&autoModClar=
37810356-F6DC-4346-B67A-9B1CA5DD31DD.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
CSS GTI uses Golf R springs. They'll be the least spring rate increase and 5 mm drop. Best part, find an R owner that upgraded suspension and get the takeoffs cheap.

All the aftermarket options are at least an inch. APR claimed .5 to .75, but they are full of it. They are a full 1in drop.

Last edited:

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I just installed H&R OE sport springs and the drop looks great. No problems with Bay Area roads yet.

If you are looking for pics check out ReadtheBook’s build thread. I don’t know why you can’t find Koni yellows; I just did a quick search and Tire Rack has them.

Last edited:

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
FYI Eibach doesn’t make an OEM strut compatible linear rate spring for the MK7/7.5. Most companies are the same and use progressive rates for their “street” applications.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
FYI Eibach doesn’t make an OEM strut compatible linear rate spring for the MK7/7.5. Most companies are the same and use progressive rates for their “street” applications.

Sure they do, part # E10-15-021-02-22

https://eibach.com/us/i-7557-pro-kit-performance-springs-set-of-4-springs.html
They're meant for the base Golf but they work fine on the GTI. Their website says progressive but that's a mistake, they're linear. This is a picture of them on the B8's but they would fit the stock shock no problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20190210_155538.jpg
    IMG_20190210_155538.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 187

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
This is a commonly held misconception, they are not linear rate, and Eibach knows what they are talking about.

There is a clearly seen change the diameter of the coil turns, thus the spring rate is variable aka progressive. While it’s close, the springs are not linear.

Selling them as linear is simply a marketing ploy by retailers to dupe unknowing consumers into the purchase. You read on the web that linear is better, so you look for linear... they are just telling you what you want to hear. Then the web propagates the incorrect information until it becomes truth. All the while, the people that make the product clearly state they are progressive.

No offense, this has been going on for at last the 25yrs that I’ve been in the car world, likely more.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Who cares if it's a progressive rate?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Who cares if it's a progressive rate?

Lots of people do. Earlier in the thread @Tooly referenced a post of his discussing how they are linear rate. Which is not accurate.

Demi9od in this post stated that Eibach UK told him they are linear.

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/linear-eibachs-for-gti.349310/post-7102173

You can clearly see they are a progressive rate spring, even in your provided picture. They are close enough to linear for 75% of people to never notice... but still progressive rate.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'll put $1000 you can't tell the difference between a linear and progressive spring from the driver's seat.

And you eluded to progressive springs not being compatible with oem shocks.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
So I guess Eibach doesn't know what they're talking about if they say they're linear but they're not? ;)